How to edit Utility Disk

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by s1d, Nov 28, 2006.

1. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

How do I edit the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files on a Support Utility Disk which I created from a Recovery CD and use the Drivers from an External CD-Rom Drive so I can boot my Laptop from it??? The problem is I'm trying to installed Windows on my laptop, which uses a docking station and which I actually don't have. I already tried selecting 'Boot from external Device' in the BIOS and it doesn't recognize the CD Drive, although it only recognizes the Floppy Drive. Unless I use a Utility Disk and edit the files using the drivers, only then will my laptop will read the external cd drive. I found out I can do this on the Recovery Cd 'Read Me' file. Since I'm not that familiar with all the technical terms, I need help editing these files, where to do it and how. What can I do????:eek:

P.S.

I have an HP Omnibook 500 Laptop/ NO DOCKING STATION,

and a Memorex External CD-RW Drive 523252 (CD Recorder External Ultra Speed)

Thanks,

s1d

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Welcome to hardwareforums sid! :beer:

It might be simpler to put the laptop hard drive in another laptop / desktop and use the install cd on that computer... and then put the hdd back in the laptop!

3. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

I have already tried doing that and it doesn't seem to work. Either it doesn't work or I must me doing something wrong. I bought an adapter for the laptops hard drive to use on a desktop and I get a message that it can't find the drivers.
    So what next????:x:

s1d

4. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

One of things I'm having problems with, overall, is editing the Support Utility Disk along with the drivers. The following instructions are found in the recovery disk and I need help with:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you do not have an internal CD-ROM drive module, you must use the Support Utility disk in the floppy drive, and the Recovery CD in an external CD-ROM drive. You'll need to edit the CONFIG.SYS file on the Support Utility disk so that it can recognize the external CD-ROM drive. The required device-drivers statements should come from the CD-ROM manufacturer.

What you'll need from your CD-ROM manufacturer

- The names of the device drivers to copy to the Support Utility disk.
    - The DEVICE=drivers statements to add the CONFIG.SYS file.
    - Statements for the CD-ROM drive to add to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Note: Both the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files contain comments that should help your CD-ROM manufacturer advise you in editing the files to meet the particular requirements for your device.

1. If you do not have a Support Utility disk, create one now.
    (See procedure at the end of this file.)

2. Insert the Support Utility disk in the floppy drive.

3. Copy the device drivers from the installation software provided with the CD-ROM drive to the Support Utility disk into the A:\tools directory.

4. Add the DEVICE=driver statements to the CONFIG.SYS file on the Support Utility disk. The device statements should immediately follow
    the REM USERCD line.

5. Check the CONFIG.SYS file to make sure that the CD-ROM drive is referred through the proper device name and is assigned as drive G.
    For that purpose, you might need to update the option /d:MSCD001 in the following line of the CONFIG.SYS file

installhigh=a:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:MSCD001 /l:G

as instructed by your CD-ROM manufacturer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone can help with this, please do so!! :eek:

s1d

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:confused: What exactly do you want to do ?

6. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

I'm actually trying to install Windows on my laptop, like I said I have no docking station, so I'm trying to use an external cd drive to boot Windows. But in order for that to work I must edit the utility disk. Once I do, then the cd drive would be read by the laptop. The problem is I don't know how to exactly modify the files properly, I'm that familiar with the technical terms.

Thanks,

s1d

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well you could download a bootdisc from here or would you prefer to know how to add CD drivers to an existing bootdisc

BTW: a bootdisc is a utility disc (as you call it)

8. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

I would like to know how to add the drivers to a boot disk, thats what I need help with:D

s1d

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

first you need a CD driver file (you can get one from an existing "CD bootdisc" (usually contains a universal driver (any CD make or model)

then put the driver file on the bootdisc (and "Mscdex.exe, which assigns a CD to a drive letter (usually D))

then add a line similar to the CONFIG.SYS (system configuration file):
    Code:
    Device=a:\<CD driver name>.sys [COLOR="Red"]/D:MSCD001[/COLOR] 
    this defines the driver to use (included in the driver file
    then add a line similar to this to the AUTOEXEC.BAT (automatically executed every boot):
    Code:
    Devicehigh=<path to Mscdex.exe>\mscdex.exe /d:MSCD001 [color="DarkOrchid"]/L:G[/color]
    this just assigns the CD to drive G:

then just boot from the floppy, to add a boot menu to the floppy check this

both config.sys & autoexec.bat are editable in notepad, or in DOS type:
    Code:
    edit A:\config.sys
    or
    Code:
    edit A:\autoexec.bat
    i think thats right, please forgive me if i'm wrong, it has being many years since i had to physically type an autoexec.bat or a config.sys

10. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

:cool: Cool..., I will try this and see what's the result.

Thanks,

s1d

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if it doesn't work, just let me know & i'll check it

BTW: a boot menu on a floppy is very useful, also the "Choice" command

12. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

OK... I tried it out and it didn't work correctly. I got a message saying that the device driver couldn't be found but I do get something like; Driver provided by and then the Company's name (oak technology or similar). Although, my thought is that I might of not have edited the files correctly. Well... that's at least what I think. If you do don't mind, will you take a look at the files? I have attached the files to be edited.

Thanks,

s1d

P.S. If you need to see any other files let me know.

Attached Files:

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i'll have a look at the autoexec.bat & config.sys and get back to you

Edit: what OS are you using (presumably DOS 6.xx)

Edit: look at the attached image, the 2 lines circled are the only lines nesisary for a CD boot disc (obviously excluding Himem.sys from the config.sys)

14. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

I edited the disk and I got a message on the screen with the following information:

Starting Windows 95...

This driver is provided by Oak Technology, Inc...
    OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM Device driver, Rev D91XV352
    (c) Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1987-1997

Device Name (empty space) :MSCD001
    No Drives found, Aborting Installation

I have no idea why I got this message on my screen. I'm trying to install Windows 2000 not 95. I made the Disk right from the Recovery CD. And edited according to the instructions. I don't know what may be the problem. I have an HP Omnibook 500 w/no Docking Station, a Memorex 523252 External CD-Rom Drive and a TDK External Floppy Drive, which my laptop does recognize. So now... I'm just confused????:confused:

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Edit:i just re-read your post
    are you having problems with the CD drive or the Floppy drive

you could download a pre-configured bootdisc from here and use the 1 you download of compare their files & make your own custom disc

BTW: i haven't used a microsoft OS for nearly a year, so, i may not be the best person to advise you, i assumed you were using old DOS, that's why i was struggling to remember

16. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

Actually the main problem is with my Cd Drive. It's just that my laptop doesn't recognize it for nothing. :crash:

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just use a Win98 CD bootdisc, to enable access to your CD, then start the install of Win 2k[ot]Win2k will allow you to choose the FS type (NTFS or FAT32) during installation[/ot]

18. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

:confused: Will I need to edit the CONFIG.EXE and AUTOEXE.BAT files with the drivers? What will happen if I use Win2k boot disk will that also work or do you recommend 98 boot disks?

19. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes
    presumably you will get similar results, i find it easier to use a 98 bootdisc, cos i have never used Win2k & i did prefer DOS (which i think is very very well hidden on Win2k)

20. s1d

s1d Geek Trainee

Question..., what is the difference between a boot disk and utility disk?