How to implement hot-swap module for a personal PC

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by rapid-sa, Jul 4, 2014.

1. rapid-sa

rapid-sa Geek Trainee

How to implement hot-swap module for a personal PC?

Hello friends,
    As we have hot-swap module on servers, is there any special part or device which we be able to buy separetely and implement it on our personal pc to attach and remove HDDs while system is turned on?

If there is no separated part to buy, what about those HOT-SWAP able boxes?
    Which contain 4-6 HDDs and they will directly connect to SATA ports on motherboard and you can attach or remove your HDDs into the BOX while system is turned on?

What is the best price solution for that BOX method? But i prefer to find a module for PC

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

You can find many how swap HDD cages using those keywords (SATA HDD cage hot swap). There are many for 2,5 and 3,5 inch.

That BOX method is probably much more expensive and also harder to use as it requires connecting at least 7 cables (6 SATA, 1 power).

3. rapid-sa

rapid-sa Geek Trainee

Thank you Wicked Mystic for your response i got it
    You said box method is expensive and hard to use, So what is your suggestion?
    Also is there any module that we connect to the motherboard and at the backend we get a place on which we can attach or detach a hard drive?

I have one question about EASY SWAP. What does it mean?
    Some PC Chassis has EASY SWAP module on their TOP with which you can attach your hard externally to your system. Does it mean that to disconnecting the HDD i need to disable it from DEVICE MANAGER?

One question. Lets forget about hot-swap.
    I have another question about modern HDDs. Lets say i have got a WesternDigital 500GB 3.5inch SATA 6Gbps HDD.
    While the system is turned on if i plugin the SATA POWER AND DATA Cable does it make conflict? i mean electric shock like what you get if you attach a IDE HDD to system while it is turned on?

Is it possible to put the data and power SATA cables to a SATA HDD while system is turned on?

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I said that box method when there is many HDD's inside is hard to use.

Probably means just what you said. You can connect SATA drive using that. When disconnecting, use "Safely Remove Hardware" on system tray.

Your SATA controller must support hot swap and it must be in use. Otherwise will not work most probably. That is hotswap, connect or disconnect HDD when PC power is on.