I need a power supply with very specific criteria

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Sherlock, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Geek Trainee

I've been having a rough time finding a new power supply to fit my current computer. I have never built a machine myself, so the learning curve plus the finances to do a complete rebuild aren't in the cards for the next 6-12 months, so I need a power supply that can fit.

My previous supply was an Antec Smartpower SP-500. The configuration was that it has a fan in the back, as opposed to the top. This is one requirement. One requirement that this supply did not meet also was that it needs 24 amps on the +12 rail to power my GTX 460. This had 17 and 19 on its two rails and held up for about 8 months before it began to make a werring noise, signaling it was likely to fail soon. I removed it before it did.

The main problem is that I have been unable to find a supple that fits these criteria that can fit in the space allotted for the supply. This is is a cm or 2 less then 3.5 inches and it has about that much in clearance to the fan below, so anything taller than this just won't work. I've tried the Antec High Current 550 and that did not fit. I also tried a Corsair CX 500 builder series that, despite it being a top fan, did actually fit in the space, but it was defective. I had someone tell me that this particular model of Corsair has had some problems in the past.

Since I don't have the time or money to rebuild, I need a supply to get me through the next 6 months. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks. I'd like to replace it sooner rather than later and I keep striking out. I've had to go back to micro center 2 times already to make returns and I'm about to go back again.

2. M_Kincy

M_Kincy Geek

all standard atx powersupplies claim to be 3.4" height on their specifications pages. If you know for sure that a corsair brand fits nicely i would just go with a different model from them. like the enthusiast, gamer or pro series. Though to be honest i have used the builder series in numorous systems and have never had a single issue with any corsair PSU.