Is my gfx the bastard?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Patchunga, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Patchunga

Patchunga Geek Trainee

Ok the deal is. I recently got myself a new computer i bught it in parts and built it myself. And i decided to keep some stuff from my old comp including my old gfx card(gf2MX 32mb PCI, untill my economy rises from the dead ) yupp and this is where i think my problem lays. Games on my new machine are laggy low fps as hell really annoying. (i get like 30 fps in CS!!when crowded wtf is that?? and i got like 1000 points in 3dmark 2001 ) ok im just wondering what you all think of it. is my gfx theone thing messing up my whole system (thats what i think) or could something else be the issue? How do you test yr cpu(if thats the prob)

My speccs: AMD xp 1900+, ASUS A7V333 SOCKET A DDR, GlobalWin CPU-Fan up to 2,0, IBM Deskstar 120GB IDE 7200RPM , DDR-DIMM PC2700 256MB DDR CL2.5 , Chieftec Matrix MediumTower, gf2mx 32mb pci, OS win 2k Pro

Please tell me what you all think.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The first issue here is that you are using a GeForce 2 MX PCI. That right there is a bottleneck. 2nd, 1000 in 3dmark 2001 is pretty low and doesn't tell the whole story anyway.

Things you can try, if you haven't already: install the latest Via 4-in-1's, try some different video card drivers (I like the 21.81 Detonator drivers myself), and reduce the resolution you're playing games at.

Also, for any games played over the internet or a LAN, lag can become a major issue very quickly especially if you have something like dial-up.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Did you try a clean reinstall? if not I suggest you try it :D If you compare your graphics card to your system, you'll see it does look out of place. Try getting something more powerfull!

4. Patchunga

Patchunga Geek Trainee

thx for the replys

yeah i thougt my3dmark points was "to low" :( considering my hardware. How much of a difference can a new gfx card do.
    btw im gonna get a new one im about to send for a gf4 Ti but im pondering wich one to choose im thinkin bout goin for the.
    Point Of View GeForce4 Ti4200 XP 128Mb DDR 3.3ns!!! DVI TV-out Retail AGP but im also considering the cheper Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR what do you think of that?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A GeForce 2 MX would probably do a bit better if you happened to have an AGP version of it. As it is, I'd go for the Asus, because I've never heard of Point of View. Not saying their bad, I just haven't heard of them until now, so I can't recommend them. Asus is known for top notch motherboards, and their video cards are pretty good as I understand.

6. Patchunga

Patchunga Geek Trainee

yeah ok. the reason i was thinkin of pov was the memory speed on their 128mbs.

Taken from a press release
    "After the success of the Point of View Ti-4200SE 64Mb with super fast 3,3ns DDR-memory, 'Point of View' is releasing the 128Mb version all over Europe in the middle/end of August 2002. The 128Mb version will be called 'Geforce 4 Ti-4200 XP Extreme Power'. The 128Mb is able to reach speeds that are comparable to cards using the Ti-4600 chipset, but at a much lower cost! This is accomplished by using super-fast 3,3ns DDR-memory instead of the standard 4ns. This is something quite unique for 'Point of View', and because of this their cards have been known as "the fastest Ti-4200 card in the market!'. The 'Geforce 4 Ti-4200 XP Extreme Power' can reach the top speed of 310/650MHz !!! The reason 'Point of View' is going to release a 128Mb-version is because that games are becoming more and more demanding and in the near future there will be games only operating at full performance with a 128Mb-card instead of 64Mb."

still pondering that :)

7. Sniper

I'd go for the ASUS, but then again you can get a Gainward card (Cheaper I think), I have the Ti4200 64MB version, and my computer specs not bad, and runs all games I have without any trouble!

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Oooh, Gainward's available? I like them...nothing against Asus, but Gainward is usually a real boon if you're the overclocking type. Also, the 128MB of RAM is still pretty moot on cards today. Also, the 64MB versions of cards typically have higher clocked memory than the 128MB variants.

9. Patchunga

Patchunga Geek Trainee

Im glad to tell you that i just got my new ASUS gf4 ti 4400 and i couldnt be happier i raised my 3dmark score 9000 points with the original drivers. :) thank you for the answers cya

10. Sniper

a good choice Patchunga, the increase in performance seems very good!