Jesus, what's happening with my PSU?! (constantly failing)

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by sneak3, Aug 10, 2013.

1. sneak3

sneak3 Geek Trainee

Hi there mates.

Couple months ago I bought a seasonic X660 Gold thinking Id be set for life, as it got amazing reviews and everybody told me that I should go with it.

2 months later it just failed. My house is new, no problems with the electrical system. No lightenings or anything similar. I left the pc on at night though but that shouldnt be a problem at all, as my old corsair tx650 had done it for 2 years.

Now I contact the store, they replaced the PSU for me. Same model, same everything. And for my surprise, IT FAILED IN 2 DAYS!

First the pc began to reset itself after every 3 hours. I couldnt turn it back on unless I pressed the switch 2 times in the back of the PSU. Then the pc wouldnt start at all, fans would spin for a brief moment and die.

I tested the PSU with a paper clip and in fact, it didnt work!!!

Now im back using a mini cheap corsair CX500! And yes, it's holding tougher all night long. BUT I really gotta know whats happening with the Seasonic. I paid a lot for it and something has to be done.

My build is the following: mono asus p8z77-m, 16gb ram corsair, i3770k OCed, hyper 212 cooler, couple HDDs, 7970 vapor-x.

Do you guys think it's just bad luck or defective batch? Or maybe it's a kind of incompatibility between my system and the PSU?

Thank you!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like a bad batch, I would try a different Brand Name, Like Corsair or Antec or OZC...

3. sneak3

sneak3 Geek Trainee

What if I picked a x760 or x850? Probably wouldnt be the same batch right?