Just thought I'd be the first person to post here! (and ask about problem im having)

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by leeandrews_uk, Oct 25, 2001.

1. leeandrews_uk

leeandrews_uk Geek Trainee

OK, great job with the site (although i never saw the old 1!), I've posted on loads of different forums, and finally now i come to this one. I doubt I'll get anywhere with it though - there only being 5 or so members when I posted this - but I'm giving it a shot anyway.

The problem ive been having is that many games - old and new - don't work under D3D... the latest example being the AvP2 MP demo which gives the error message 'couldn't set D3D emulation mode'. Got any ideas what it might be? Taking into consideration that I've updated to the newest drivers (out today) and also re-installed DirectX 8.0a (specs of my PC are in my signature, or should be). I can post a PowerStrip report if anyone thinks they can help...

Thanks in advance...
    :confused: Lee :confused:

2. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

Have you got windows or linux?

Some game versions only work under windows or linux, maybe your graphics card is not compatible with the game!!!

3. Fistantari

Fistantari Guest

what OS are you running? Did they work before or did the games never work?

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

in his sig it refers to Win2k as his OS :) should upgrade to XP if you get the chance. If I were you I would get hold a Win XP Pro copy and do a clean install and hopefully every thing should be ok....

5. leeandrews_uk

Win XP Pro/Home Ed

Hi again.....
    Thanks for the help, I'm going to try that but first, what benefits does Pro have over the Home Edition? And also what is the difference in cost? (as I don't have much income)

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm not sure about the prices in the U.K. but US prices are $199 for home and $299 for Pro reatil and I think $99 upgrade for home and $199 for the Pro upgrade.

Basically the best way to look at the differences between home and Pro is to compare it to 9x and 2k, if you need the additional benefits of 2k like dual processor support ect. then your best to go the pro route. However if all you do is use it to play games and run a few apps home is more than enough.

For your D3D problem have you tried compatibility mode? Apart from that I'd check NTCompatible and make sure it supports 2K.

7. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

I think that this is where many people result to using piracy as an answer.

8. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

what if M$ were to half the price, maybe then the users buying it would double, makeing the same amount of profit?

9. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

How much did you graphics card cost?
    that was to leeandrews_uk

10. leeandrews_uk

Graphics Card cost...

Sorry I haven't replied in a while.... I've been too busy to come on the net :). Thanks for all the help, I think I'm going to go with the Home Edition - due to it being cheaper ;)

My Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 Kyro 2 costs about £100 now.

11. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

Not a bad price,

BUT

Now you can buy a 64Mb GeForce 2 MX with TV out for only £60

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, but the Kyro II stomps the MX/200/400. Hell, the GF2 Pro/Ti's are so cheap now, those are the GF's to go for.

13. Gmlynx

Gmlynx Geek Trainee

*ahem* But the Geforce2 MX's work with everything.

The Kyro2's do not. And will not........EVER!

So, I would like to be able to get 'Emperor: Battle for Dune' to work on my PC.

Which the Kyro2's won't.

And XP pro is only £120 here in good old blity.

And the Gefoce2 32mb is only £40.

Bye

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

True, true dat. Actually, the best card I've ever owned was an MX, but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Radeon and all, but ATI still has some quirks to work out yet. (such as not hosing your install with new software)