kingston kne111tx problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Cruzado_Mainfrm, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Cruzado_Mainfrm

Cruzado_Mainfrm Geek Trainee

i'm using a kingston kne111tx network card on winxp sp1 and i have worked for me perfectly for like 8 months i think... but yesterday it didn't appear connected, and plug-and-play couldn't find it, so i changed the card to another PCI port... now it works, but not like before... the connection is like this:
    internet -> Ethernet Broadband Router di-704p -> Westell Dual Connect (DSL Modem) -> Kingston KNE111TX PCI Ethernet Card(Computer)

from the internet the problem is not, from the router maybe a miss configuration, but i have a laptop connected to the router and has no problems, the modem another possible miss configuration and the pc is the main thing...

can anybody help me? any suggestions?
    maybe i should download the latest drivers insted of letting windows xp install them...?

2. Cruzado_Mainfrm

another thing is that i can't use IE, nor Mozilla nor Firebird, just Opera(dunno why), i can't share files through the network cuz the pc can't even see the laptop and viceversa... msn messenger WORKS too...

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yes you could try the latest drivers, although I do not think that is your problem here.

Is your config the same as it was when the card was working perfectly ?
    Did you try other pci slots ?
    Did you try taking off any unnecessary cards like 56k modem, sound card, etc. ?
    Did you try to ping computers through your network ?
    Or ping websites with every computers of your network ?

I do not think your problem is the config or internet-related since you have access to it fully with your laptop (if I understand correctly) but not with your other PC. But it's always wise to test everything you can to rule out possible causes.

Make sure all computers in the network are part of the same workgroup.
    You can also try a different cabe, (from the router to your PC), although it would be weird since you say messenger works..
    Maybe there's a setting that you turned on/off in IE which prevents it from working so try restoring the default options.
    You could also try to plug your modem directly into your PC to see if everything works. If it doesn't, the prolem is your PC, if it does, the problem is something else.

4. Cruzado_Mainfrm

i tryied connecting internet->modem->pc but that didn't work either... i couldn't configure the modem because the internet explorer didn't work... now i'm using opera...

answering the first question i might say that i can't configure like last time using the wizard because it says the well known error that there was an error and bla bla bla...

for the second question, i changed the pci once, cuz i always have only 1 left(hope u get it)...

for the third... like i have a modem card and a scsi... and i think that if i change the cards from where they are now, there are going to be IRQ errors(if that's how they are called)...

i can't ping the router, nor another computer, this is the error given:
    PING: transmit failed, error code 65.

same thing when pinging websites...

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure you have TCP/IP installed and checked under Network/Local Area Connection Properties.
    Also try pinging 127.0.0.1 to make sure the NIC is working correctly.

6. Cruzado_Mainfrm

pingin 127.0.0.1 works fine, and i have tcp/ip connection enabled, i'm using the connection right now to send these messages :), and another problem is that the wizard doesn't let me set the configuration the way i want...

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try and see what you can do without the wizard. Sometimes you've got to play with it manually in the properties.

8. Cruzado_Mainfrm

i don't know how to do it manually :(
    is it using the 'add a new connection' thing?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you're using XP, you should be able to right click on your Network icon and select properties.
    This'll bring you to where you can see all network devices that are on the PC. With XP, this will include Firewire ports as well. You should see one icon labled "Local Area Connection". Under that, in smaller lettering and gray color (by default), should read what NIC it is. From here, you can right click on that and bring up different menus. The two menu items that are most important are "Status" (toward the top in bold), and "Properties" down at the bottom.
    Status is useful for determining your speed, IP, etc. Properties is where you configure the protocols for the NIC.

Under XP, the stuff you should have by default in the properties section in the first tab should be: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS, and TCP/IP. Other stuff can be there, but the other should be there.

I'm not sure exactly how you want to configure it, so I'll stop there.

10. Cruzado_Mainfrm

everything is there is just that it doesn't let me configure 'using the wizard' the way i want, that pisses me off...

how can i configure it 'manually'?

11. Cruzado_Mainfrm

well i decided that i'm going to format the pc...
    (my last alternative)

12. Cruzado_Mainfrm

well i guess i had a corrupted version of the drivers... now everything is fine after i formatted

thnx everybody for ur time :D

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm glad ya got the problem fixed. Gotta love them corrupted drivers.