laptop freeze,when I start typing

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by ajuferov, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ajuferov

ajuferov Geek Trainee

hello,have laptop aser3620,windows xp,when i start typing (any button) computer just freeze,can't move my cursor,have to turn off computer (off button).

If I don't touch any button-I can use laptop-i-net etc.

Can someone help me,don't know what to do...Maybe virus??

Thank you.

2. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

It is possible that it is infected with virus. Try reformatting your laptop first so we can eliminate this possibility.

3. BSOD

BSOD Geek Trainee

Before reformatting think of when it started, before or after an update or new app install? Is it always in the same program, i.e. ms word/works etc? If so, it could be the app. If you have created any system restore points you could try restoring the pc to a time before the problem started. You can find system restore info here > How to restore Windows XP to a previous state. If its on specific program I would try checking for updates for that program or even uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that works.

I would also suggest booting in safe mode which can be done by following the steps below. You should come up w/ a screen with several choices for safe mode you can try w/ or w/o networking and see if this works.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
    3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

More info here > A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

Hope this helps.

BSOD