Linux and bittorrent

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by stinkfing3r, Jul 15, 2005.

1. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

can you all recommend any good torrent programs for linux? i used bitcomet with windows and really loved it so im looking for something similar but if its not available ill try anything. thx.

2. Addis

Addis The King

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

bit tornado is similar to bit comet and can be used in the linux environment

4. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

cool ill give that a shot..

ill tell ya what.. this linux stuff is not simple ;)

5. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Computers are not simple and Linux doesn't yet have hordes of rank-and-file programmers whose sole job to hide the complexity of computers behind a lot of bells and whistles. It can be a steep learning curve but once you get the feel for how it works you should soon find out that it's not really as complicated as it first appears. The other beauty of it is that when something goes wrong a little patience and persistence will usually uncover the error (seen it happen sooo many times) as opposed to the "re-install everything" philosophy of Windows. Stick with it!

6. Addis

Addis The King

Thats very true. Linux can become a shock to windows users. "Command line? I have to type what I want to do?" "What does root mean?" etc.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You're right. I think one of the main reasons I took to Linux so quickly myself is that I grew up in the DOS era, knowing the DOS command line like the back of my hand. Linux shell is very different, but in a good way. It's fast, efficient, and boku powerful.

8. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

yes the shock of linux is very big for me..

mainly the last few days ive been playing those free games that come with mandriva because i dont understand much of whats going on. i do have a book, but it doesnt explain how every single thing works..

like i installed aMSN easy and teamspeak easy. but my bt client i dont understand, it went into my python folder, which i think i read somewhere that i need python to run bt? but what do i do from there?

if anyone is bored and doesnt mind being bugged by someone with linux questions add me to ur msn ([email protected])

hf.com should get an irc room if there isnt already one, this is a support forum so u should have a place for like real time support :p so i wouldnt have to bother one single person on msn hehe. just a suggestion

but anywho ya add me to msn anyone that wouldnt mind.

laterz

ThePenguinCometh likes this.
  9. Anti-Trend

In this case, it's not Linux that's confusing so much as the torrent software. Which torrent client are you using? The regular one, BitTornado, or Azureus?

10. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

regular one i believe. (Bittorrent)

11. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

If you need help with Linux I would suggest going to www.linuxquestions.org and posting your questions there. That's an insanely busy forum and quite newbie friendly.

Whoops, clicked on the helpful button my mistake! Thanks for your help 3r!

12. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

You dont need python to run BT as long as you get the linux version client. As I said earlier I believe Bit Tornado can be run on a Linux platform.

13. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

lol well thx tpc :) hehe.

great ya'll will be on top of those tonight when i get home from work. ill let you know how things go.

14. Anti-Trend

Yeah, Bit Tornado is better than the stock client, as is Azureus. I've heard that Azureus runs chunky in Windows, but I haven't had any such experience in Linux. If you need any specific help getting that going, you can start a new thread in this forum and we'll try and get you set right. :)