Looking for a non-space-heater

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by RavynX, Nov 4, 2007.

1. RavynX

RavynX Geek Trainee

Hey all, I upgraded my PC last spring and I'm regretting my power supply choice. I got a OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W PSU and it's held up great so far, especially powering the 8800 GTS card but it just heats up my room so bad. I can get up from my chair, walk outside my room and it feels at least 10 degrees cooler. My room is currently 10x14, but I'll be moving into my own apartment next weekend and the computer will be in the dining room.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there are any PSUs out there that don't run like a space heater or are at least a bit more efficient at using their power rather than converting it to heat.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The power supply doesn't run that hot. What does run hot are the 8 series GeForce cards, so I'd attribute the heat more to that than the power supply.
    You can replace the power supply, but I very much doubt that's going to do much---if anything.

The power supply may feel hot on it's exhaust, but given that it helps expel heat from the system, hot running parts won't help any.

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, Big B pretty much has it down there, but if you are really content on getting a cooler power supply look for one that is really efficient, something 80% and above. All that said, i get the same issue, only i like it, cause my basement is generally freezing, and i'm sure i have the same situation as you, but along with the PSU and Graphics cards, i imagine everything else is quite high performance as well, so everything in your computer probably gives off a fair amount of heat as well.