Looking for something in particular...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by RavynX, Jun 12, 2005.

1. RavynX

RavynX Geek Trainee

Hey all, I'm basically replacing everything except my video and sound cards for a new pc. The case is going too, and that's where this thread comes in. I currently have a plain beige case w/ blue stripes on the sides of the front. The dvd and burner drives have white faces.

- So I'm looking for either a black case with a door or hidden panels in the front or possibly a silver case with or without a door on the front.

- Powersupply should be at least 450watts and somewhat quiet or I can get a 500watt silent psu for about $35 locally.

- Mid-tower is preferred, I don't need a full tower and I want better airflow than a mini-case.

- I'm 50/50 on a clear side panel w/ neon fans. I'm not sure if they'd be too distracting since I have a glass desktop and the left case is facing me near my feet.

I've looked at a lot of places online and things are either way too plain or way too exotic and overdone.

Something like this would be decent, it just needs a powersupply and fans. What are your thoughts/suggestions?

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey RavynX, that's a good quality case there, I personally never found the Chenming's all that exciting but whatever floats your boat. As a general the power supply that comes with a case is usually going to be low quality, no-name, dye-and-take-your-system-with-it stuff and you don't want that. I can't say for sure but that $35 is really cheap for any psu of that wattage, look at spending at least $50 on a name-brand psu, the higher the voltage the better. I have a ton of lights in my NXZT Nemesis mid tower case and I think they're very cool, not really distracting fortunately, though I don't have a glass table. www.newegg.com has a ton of nice cases, if you check out their supply I'm sure you can find what you're looking for.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hey, yer that is a sweet case, like the grill on the front and 2 holes for 80mm fans should provide great cooling, i got an EZ Cool case really cheap from http://www.savastore.com/ (model number 7104H). It has holes all over it for cooling and looks great with the handles and feet. This case also has flip down drive covers to hide different coloured drives which is a good thing as one of my drives has no other facias.

As far as PSU's go, the 400W one i got with the case originally blew, luckily it didnt take my computer with it so fort a while i used my 300W old one, but i took the case and PSU back and got a new one, all working fine, its not a named one but i shall wait and get a named one, have no money for it at the minute :(

4. RavynX

RavynX Geek Trainee

Yeah, I'm really starting to wonder if I should start buying name-brand psu's b/c my current case's psu went out w/o taking anything else with it and 2 days ago my mom's is dropping below the +/- 5% values and I think her motherboard or memory is gone now.

I just hate spending $70+ on a psu. :x: Money is kind of limited right now, but I think a good psu would be cheaper in the long run.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah i used to have a 300w PSU in my old case, i got a new case with 400W PSU installed, am using this at the minute but i think i should get a new one, every so often my computer jus freezes, nothing can be done and if any sort of sound is playing at the time then it just squeals until i hold the power button to turn it off, i think it may be the PSU as my old one although has a lower wattage was much better and it didnt crash.

I had more 4-pin connectors on it (6 in total) whereas the new one has only 4 and things have to be split between different things like the lights at the front, the CD and DVD drives and the HDD...that sux...

The old PSU was a HEC-300AR-PT havent heard of it before, dont know it to be a brand name but it worked well and i never had any problems, i may have to put it back in as it worked so well...damn PSU's that come with cases, never good enough are they?

NEW ADDED BIT - i just found out the ratings for my PSU i read the side of it and here's what it said:
    Dc Output - MAX A.
    +3.3V - 28A
    +5V - 30A
    +12V - 15A
    -5V - 0.5A
    -12V - 0.8A
    +5Vsb - 2A

I have no idea what these values mean in terms of a computers needs and usage, any information on what this means would be good, my computer spec is over on the left where it gives your details... :good: