Low voltage

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by a_killjoy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. a_killjoy

a_killjoy Geek Trainee

I have a Nvidia motherboard, NF24-ALH, which has started to misbehave in that it crashes and then is difficult to reboot.

Running HDOCTOR reports that the 3.3v and the battery voltages are low and dropping. As I assume that these are not unrelated problems has anyone any idea as what is their cause and where is the onboard battery located?

many thanks

John

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Your problem is definately not the onboard battery, as that only supplies the CMOS with juice so your BIOS doesn't lose its settings when your system is powered down. It sounds like you have a low-end PSU, which is not providing sufficient power to your system.

You should seriously consider picking up a good, brand-name PSU. A solid PSU will provide ample amperage and wattage for your system, as well as clean and stable power to keep your system healthy. Cheap PSUs can actually fry your system; I've seen it more than once.

I personally recommend either an Enermax or Antec PSU on the order of at least 400watts. Also keep amperage in mind when choosing a power supply, as this is just as important as raw wattage. Without amperage, wattage doesn't count for much. If you're on a tight budget, Thermaltake has some very good 460watt PSUs for about $36. In any case, make sure the PSU you select can support all of the devices in your system without sagging (falling below the rated wattage level).

All the best,
    -AT