Mini-ITX Experience

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pelvis_3, Jan 3, 2007.

1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Hi all,
    In the near future, I plan to build myself an IPCop firewall running on a VIA EPIA board. VIA make very cool processors (in both senses)
    and dead silent to boot. What I'm asking if anybody has actually had any real experience with these l33t Mini-ITX systems?
    I mean, a 17x17cm motherboard with an integated VIA 800Mhz CPU that requires no HSF and plenty of I/O options, I'm in love.
    It's going to feel right at home under my LCD.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot]
    VIA circuitry? :doh:
    Mega! You tell him!
    Stand back Pelvis..... :chk:
    [/ot]

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree, these are pretty neat. I know VIA get's a lot of crap tossed on them, but I've had a ton of VIA-based boards, and if you don't care about overclocking, they're fine. The C3 is a niche-market chip, one example being a firewall. It competes more with AMD's Geode CPU than the Athlon or Core 2's.

In any case, have you checked out SFF Tech?

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Thanks for the link B :cool: I've been reading on Mini-ITX and they all seem to point out that VIA's boards are very well supported under linux, so IPCop will work nicely.
    At the momoent, i have an AMD K6 300 as my firewall and it's a behemoth at best. The real beauty about these things, is they don't use more than 60 Watts of juice :good: