Mobile AMD and Micro-ATX board, compatible?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Magecca, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Magecca

Magecca Geek Trainee

I'm building a CarPC and it's been suggested that I use a mobile CPU, for their lower power requirements, lower heat creation and better heat dissipation. Particularly, I'm interested in the Mobile AMD Athlon-XP 2400+ 35Watt edition I can get at Newegg.com

I've read at Newegg that people have used this CPU with the average socket A mainboard and had very high perfomance results with it. But the AMD website has absolutely no support or FAQ's on this subject.

My primary questions is, can I use this mobile AMD CPU in this board? Thank you for any help.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yes, since its a Socket A motheroard.

3. Magecca

Magecca Geek Trainee

So even though it's a Mobile it's still a Socket A CPU? Thanks! I'm going to buy it then.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yes, its a Socket A CPU! many people use mobile versions because it gives them a higher overclock!

5. Magecca

Magecca Geek Trainee

Sweet! They have lower FSB and caches though....

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not sure how far you'll go with that Biostar board. I don't think Biostar is the company to go for if you're into OC'ing.

Actually, most people I see building CarPC's use a Mini or NanoITX motherboard. That mobile XP is more than enough grunt...far more than people use. Some of these Mini ITX boards have been adapted to take 12V w/o a power supply---so they're all set for a carPC. They've got a Via C3 CPU in them, which put out like 14W, compared with the 35 or 45W of the mobile Athlons.

7. Magecca

Magecca Geek Trainee

You're correct, Big B. Generally people use those Mini-ITX board, Nano-ITX boards are yet to be on the market for the end user.

I was considering an EPIA M1000 but noticed very few exansion capeabilities. A single PCI slot, no AGP, single RAM port, no Floppy bus and intergrated CPU tell me if in the future I need/want to upgrade, I'm going to have to buy a whole new board. With the Biostar, 3 PCI, AGP, capeable of 400 FSB, 3 RAM ports with up to DDR 333, four IDE devices, Floppy and NVIDIA nForce2 and integrated GeForce4 MX IGP

Then you noticed the prices and features of the VIA EPIA boards: $146 for the M1000, the most poplular ( I've seen used ) for a 1Ghz VIA C3 CPU with FSB and Cache specs I've never found ( Partly because I haven't looked ). Compared to the $160 I'm spending on a rather nice biostar board and a renowned AMD CPU at a 1.6Ghz clock, 512 L2 and 266 FSB. With my set I have a lot more customization options opposed to an integrated VIA EPIA board.

When I have a 150 Watt DC-DC PSU the CPU is roughly 80% of power consumption which would only be 35Watts. So I will have plenty of power to run my hard disk, USB and graphics devices and still power the Touchscreen LCD with power left over.

I think I'm getting more for my bucks [o: And thank you for comments, I greatly appreciate it.

PS: At the risk of sounding femish... Those Nano-ITX boards are cute! And I read about a duel C3 1Ghz VIA EPIA Mini-ITX board that is very interesting.

8. Addis

Addis The King

Those CarPCs look really good when you do it right, with glossy panals at the side they look like advanced cd players, but better.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I guess it depends on how much space you have to work with. Most of the Car PCs I see are in-dash, and that's why people are opting to go with the Mini- or NanoITX boards. I'm not sure where you're planning to put it however. The trunk?

10. Magecca

Magecca Geek Trainee

The trunk. a Mini-ITX board is only a few centimeters smaller than a Micro-ATX

11. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

yup u can

12. Magecca

Magecca Geek Trainee

Just finished assemembling and it works great! Clocked at about 1.8 Ghz and 26C with moderate load. It will be perfect for my car. I think I may underclock it to see how low I can get the heat, I dont know.....

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You might try dropping the voltage a hair and see what that does, and if you can run it at an even lower voltage.

14. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

wow that's actually really good temps..you know...if its in a car...you could put a scoop on the hood and direct the air blowing across the heatsink... that would be so 1337