mobility radeon drivers + dell = no go

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by Runner7775, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

My dell laptop has a mobility radeon x300 and i have been unable to find the latest drivers for it.(the latest dell offers are like 5.10,my guess is they dont offer newer drivers so thay dont have to support them with tech support) The latest one i have in my possession is the mobility catalyst 7.4 driver. i had traditionally been able to find them on some download sites across the web but have been unable to do so lately. The ones on the ati/amd web site require you to use a system validation tool before you download them which checks the manufacturer and whether you have a mobility card. It always rejects the dell.
    Does anyone know where i can find the latest installer for the mobility catalyst drivers for windows xp?

One more question iv heard or imagined that the mobility catalyst drivers for vista are included with the desktop catalyst drivers on their web site. And if you install the drivers it installs the mobility suite for you. am i right?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

You can download the latest mobility version (without the annoyong checking software) from here.
    I got this same problem with my Acer laptop. I don't know if they work. If you get a blue screen at startup, then boot into Safe Mode and then uninstall the ATI driver. If you're done with installer, could you post back the results? Because I want to install these drivers too :)

3. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

well actually i had the 5.9 mobility catalyst drivers (i think) but yesterday i found in my computer the installer for the 7.4 drivers and i installed them.
    its just that i can no longer find the installers(for the newest drivers) alone on the download sites

4. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

woohoo!!!
    i found the installer for the mobility catalyst 7.9 drivers!!!
    It was too easy!!
    anyway im sure these are tha latest drivers and now im going to install and test them(ill report how stable they later as when i installed the 7.4 drivers a few weeks ago my computer wouldnt boot)
    anyway heres the link and get it as fast as you can because ive downloaded the 7.5 or .6 and i have been unable to find them after that easily.
    ATI Catalyst Mobility 7.9 - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

5. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

it worked well and ive playes team fortress 2 since then and it worked

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Great, I'll try it on my laptop. Hope it also works with me, so I won't have to wait for Acer.
    edit: It worked! Catalyst Control Center didn't want to load, so I installed .NET framework 2.0. Runs nice :)

7. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

ok i upgraded my laptop to vista finally because of the graphics driver improvements. well once again dell is less than help with that because the only driver able to be downloaded on their site are the march or may drivers which negates my hopes for the latest drivers, any help?