Motherboard has no MIDI

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by henry222, Nov 1, 2010.

1. henry222

henry222 Geek

(MIDI - computer music-keyboard interface)
    Recently bought an ASUS motherboard M4N78 which has many bells/whistles.....which includes a 5.1 sound system - but whilst there are plenty of jacks for inputs (like Mic, Line) and Outputs ( multi-speakers) - I'm not finding anything that looks like a Gameport.
    In the past a separate "soundcard" from Creative included a 15-way D connector that connected to joysticks ( and included MIDI pins that could be accessed via a special connector with 2x MIDI (DIN) connectorsm - these went to the Organ,). With the right software, the computer can record the keystrokes and replay it, and you can Edit the notes to fix errors, etc.

Now the situation is that this new PC has no soundcard (cause it's in the motherboard) and unfortunately there seems to be no mention in the manual of Gaming, or importantly, MIDI -
    So, do I have to disable the mbd Audio and then install a SoundBlaster Card- hopefully I can find one that will work with Win7. (some hope?).

Note, I do have a Video-card with several outputs - but I understand these are purely Video - nothing to do with MIDI In/Out.

Oh, yes . . . . I know you can buy USB dongles which conect MIDI - anyone got the low-down on these . . . .I've seen single In/Out and also quad In/Out
    At the moment I have just one Organ/keyboard - this has two MIDI connnectors, 1=In, 1=Out. It still sounds great, but is too old to have USB. I'd like to use it with my new PC which is so well spec'd....although I missed the MIDI problem, until now.

Anyone else found this mbd. problem? - solutions . . . . etc. . . . . ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The MIDI/game port has been absent for a little while now, so a 3rd party card will be necessary for your needs. You should be able to run a second sound card, as you can specify where the system will output/input/etc. and not be tied to either sound card. At least under Windows, and I would guess you would be able to have that happen under other OSes.

3. henry222

henry222 Geek

Answering my Post:
    (+thanks BigB)
    I found some MIDI files on the internet and these do play on the Win7 PC - so the GM table IS in the mbd (but Asus doesn't think anyone needs to know this).

A MIDI/USB dongle-device tried, will connect my music keyboard to the PC - but it doesn't work correctly, however under XP, I can send a MIDI-file to the Music Keyboard (which DOES have GM tables).

The more I look into this, the greater my confusion. . . . . . . hardly surprising musicians use Apple.