My Overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by max12590, Aug 2, 2006.

1. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Today I decided to overclock my computer and this is what I have at the end of the day.

CPU:
    AMD 64 3500+
    -Native clock: 2.2 GHz
    -Over clock: 2.5 GHz

GPU:
    ATI X800 Pro
    -Core/Memory native clock: 470/450 MHz
    -Core/Memory over clock: 520/500 MHz

The CPU OC is mediocre but I like the GPU OC. I haven't been able to test the GPU in BF2 but I will do that tomorrow. I have, however, run Prime95 for a few hours. Tomorrow I will also try to raise the CPU speed more. I only got into a little overvolting and memory tweaks. Anybody have any ideas about voltages? I'm pretty sure my memory is fine because it is OCZ rated to 500 MHz and it is only at 454 MHz right now.

2. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Hey mate, I have the same CPU as you and its a wonderful overclocker!

I now have it at 2.62GHz for Desktop things, and I raise it to just under 2.7GHz for gaming, if your lucky you can get near 2.7GHz. Try lowering your HTT Frequency to about 2x, bump up the voltage in small increments and then keep adding to the FSB in 3's..

You may notice some bad effects if you go to high, because windows can't handle it.. it may result in BSODs and Failure messages when your in Windows.

Also your memory plays big part in overclocking you should try loosening the timings whilst overclocking your CPU & then when you have your CPU speed finalized try and tighten your memory..

Hope that helps

3. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I think most of my problem is my motherboard. I got errors at 2.55 GHz. I can raise my latendies but as I stated memory timings shouldn't be a huge issue. 2.7, however, would be mighty nice. 500 MHz OC. Thats like... 23%. Niiiice.

EDIT: It was apparently it was all in the HT speed. I didn't think about it being too high. I pulled it down to 2x and hit 2.6 without breaking a sweat. I did reaise the Vcore to 1.45 but I know it was the HT because I raised the Vcore last night and it didn't do anything. I'm running Prime95 right now and if it passes the test I will go for 2.7. Beyond that I will see what happens.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok, my computer is currently running at 2.8 GHz. I am running Prime 95 right now to see if it is stable. The Vcore is at 1.475. My question is how high is too high. I think I will cut off the voltage at 1.5. Any other thoughts about this?

5. rimmer

rimmer Geek

hi, doesnt overclocking surveerly (i cant spell lol) shorten the life of the conponents? i had to raise my cpu voltage because it wasnt getting 1.4, so its getting 1.41 average now, coz i had to o/v it, anyhoo, if it doesn't do too much, and i have brilliant cooling, 34 degrees C @ 100% for 5 mins is what I found mine to be, its got that many fans lol but noise doesnt bother me personally.

Is my CPU a good O/Cer also, its the 1 down from you 2? i may consider O/Cing if the effects arent too bad. my specs are always below

I almost forgot, i have the option to edit my HT freq, the options are AUTO (I have that one), 1X, 2X,
    3X, and I think it goes to 4X, i`ll have to check, I have no idea what it all means, can somebody clear all this for me please? I know it stands for Hyper Transport, which is a sort of simulation of dual core, but what does 4X mean? it emulates 4 CPu's? Please laugh at me, but I just don't understand

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

No, overclocking does not severly shorten the life of your components. This is a pretty good explaination. But about the HT, that is the multiplier. Your standard FSB will be multipled by the highest setting (mine is x5) to get 1000 MHz. When you overclock you will have to lower this as the HT does not take well to overclocking.

EDIT: Also, Hyper Transport is not the same as Hyper Threading, it does not make virtual processors.