NB Fan Speed and NB Temp...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Matt555, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

My computer is rather loud, this is a combination of the NB fan and the CPU fan. The NB fan runs at an average of 6000RPM and temp is about 53*c and the CPU fan at about 3000RPM temp of about 37*C. I have a untility on my MSI cd that came with my motherboard which allows me to monitor these speeds and temperatures. I also use speed fan to alter these speeds. However the speeds dont really change until it is set to zero, then my computer goes quiet and core centre alerts me that fans have stopped. Although when the fans are at a standstill the computer is near silent (i have other fans but these dont make any real noise). I am worried about letting the NB fan speed stay at 0, even though lots of NB's dont even have fans...

Are the temperatures i am gettin for my northbridge ok? 53*C seems a bit high, but it is very loud, i was thinking of gettin a quieter NB fan and have seen some good ones around, maybe even getting just a good heatsink so a fan is not needed. And a quiet CPU fan, i dont want to spend loads on these though but the key thing is they are quiet as its quite annoying when your sitting there and you can just hear fans.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Matt555 likes this.
  3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

your chipset is loud, ever heard of the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe? their chipset fan is about 3 or four centimeters, plastic, and goes about 8500rpm, that is one little annoying midget

haha, and i have it

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know Zalman has some passive northbridge heatsinks, but you'll want to have decent airflow and clearance as they're not exactly tiny units.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Cool, i might look into one of them then...what about the temperatures i am getting are they normal? 53*C seems a bit high...

Also what about removing the old NB fan? It looks like its just connected with metal clips onto the motherboard, looks like they're spring loaded to hold it in place. Using core center i have just lower the speeds, sound has dropped and temeratures are the same...

Maybe i could just try adjusting the speeds...what about a fan speed controller? (hardware type, not software) then when i am just browsing i can set it to low, then when i do something more CPU-intensive i can turn the fans up...
    I have been looking at these:
    http://www.vantecusa.com/p_nxp_305.html £21.09 Including VAT
    http://www.vantec.com.tw/nxp201.html £11.69 Including VAT
    http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/fan_control/spec_ak_fc_06sl.htm (£8.81 Including VAT

i can set it up to control NB fan and CPU fan, i have others but they aren't a problem...they are all near silent...i have these:
    http://www.akasa.co.uk/spec/system_cooler/spec_ak_hd_bl.htm £4.64 Including VAT
    (all prices from www.overclockers.co.uk)
    And a standard coolermaster blue LED fan...1800Rpm so not too loud
    I like the first vantec fan controller as it comes with adjustable case lights which i would like and i can get them with that and save ££ :D

If you caould give me your opinions it would be great, many thanks
    (sorry for the long post)

6. ninja fetus

that vantec chipset cooler I posted is only audible to me when I have all my other fans stopped and I'm within 2 feet of my motherboard with case open.

53C does sound high, could be lack of thermal paste or just a bad heatsink.

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

The Nb fan is just screwed to the heatsink and the heatsink is connected by a piece of metal which runs through it and hooks under some little clips on the motherboard...is this the normal way and will other hsf's fit?

8. ninja fetus

yeah that's pretty standard to have chipset coolers have spring loaded pins through the motherboard.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool, i might look into getting one of them then, i am gonna be ordering a fan controller and 3.5" multi-media card reader soon so i might stick one of those coolers on there u suggested, i like the idea that u get thermal compound with it as well, saves a bit of money www.overclockers.co.uk sells em for £6.46 which aint bad, then i'll connect the fan controller to the nb fan, cpu fan and 2 of my case fans which share the same 3-pin connector on the motherboard. that way i can manually control the speed of these to get a low noise level but still maintain cool temperatures.

10. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

also a good thing is to have the case configured that air intake is from bottom-front, and exhaust is rear-top

simple, warm air rises, cold air falls idea haha, thats how my case is set up, and temps are low

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i have that, air comes in all over though, i have an exhaust fan at the top over my RAM then one 120mm on the back, plus the hot air exit tube for the CPU...actually does the fan from a cpu heatsink and fan suck air towards the heatsink or blow it away from it?

12. ninja fetus

heatsink fans should push air across the heatsink fins to carry heat away from the heatsink

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

thats cool, i had my fan set to suck air into the tube, fresh cold air from outside rather than the hot air from inside the case must have wkred as cpu temp dropped like 5*C since i got the case,

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i thought my nb temp was high, 53*C does seem a bit high, but when i was cheking through my manual to see what memory configurations i could use i came across the part telling you about the core center application that monitors voltages speeds temps and allows you to overclock etc...i saw the temperature in their diagram...53*C! maybe its meant to be like that?

16. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

or they are just psychic

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yes they could be reading my mine right now

~jumps out of window~

18. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

watch one of their staff catch you as you try, and a small can ride by and kidnap you haha

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

oh well a life of slavery after being shrunk and put into their latest motherboard.....

20. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

maybe thats how they really do it haha