Netbook Asus S101 Solid State Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by maurits, Sep 12, 2015.

1. maurits

maurits Geek Trainee

Hello,

I have the original asus netbook with 30GB (15GB SSD, 16GB SD) storage capacity. Long time ago I wiped preinstalled XP in favor of Debian Crunchbang. Now I want to reverse this and reinstall some version of XP SP3 I pulled from internet. The XP installer changed the Linux file system to NTFS but now hangs at the error message 'file asms on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD is needed'. This is a common error which is fixable I know.

I try do to reinstall different versions of SP3 from other media (CD player, bootable USB disk) but the faulty setup is being restarted every time. I tried to do a fresh reinstall of Debian to no avail. DiskPart sees Disk 0, Status online, Size 15 GB, Free 0 GB. DiskPart doesn't see the SD card. I cannot clean Disk 0 with the installer on it obviously. BIOS on the other hand is auto detecting the SD card and the USB 4 GB Datatraveller with SP3 on it. I can only select: Removable Dev, Asus JM S41 SSD, Atapi CD Rom, or Disabled. Selecting Removable Dev. as 1st Boot Device with the preloaded USB Datatraveller doesn't help either. The faulty installer keeps popping up. Disabeling the SSD in BIOS returns no target to install to. Therefore I suppose the faulty installer must be on the Asus SSD.

How can I rid the SSD of the faulty installer?

Thanks much, maurits

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Try to format drive as FAT32 (on Windows installation).

3. maurits

maurits Geek Trainee

Can I format the drive from the BIOS? I don't think so. The only way to silence the faulty installer is to disable the SSD in the BIOS. But no installer whatsoever will be able to find a location to install to. Strangly enough the SD card could hold the file system. But the SD card doesn't show as a disk or partition. I could address the netbook from another computer but I'm not familiar with setting up a home network. Let alone addressing a remote harddisk with nothing on it.

So I was thinking about putting the SSD as slave drive in another computer and reformat it from there. I'm busy now with pulling the case of the netbook apart in an orderly manner.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

5. maurits

maurits Geek Trainee

First link is interesting. I'll try that.

I've come across the second link and followed the instructions for the NTFS-route. Somehow regedit.exe didn't respond then, so I quit. I'll try one more time. Thanks for the pointers.