network problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by slyraccoon, Mar 22, 2006.

1. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

hi i have 2 pc's my main pc downstairs which is on xp pro sp2 which has a onboard lan
    and my daughter has a pc upstairs also on xp pro sp1 which i have put in a network card both are connected via a cat5 cable
    i have run the network wizard on both pc's and both of them are showing that they are connected at 100 mbps but for some reason i can't view files from the main pc on the 2nd pc and it has me a bit confused the only thing that has got me concernd is that the main pc has not got protocol in the propeties window and when i click on install a window pops up to install protocol but it fails to install it so i have tried to copy & paste both netbuis from my xp pro disc but still doesn't work could this be my problem or has anyone got any ideas please help

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

OKay, let's get the obvious out of the way first!

Have you set up a shared folder on the second computer?

Have you statically assigned the IP address? If so, what have you assigned?

Have you enabled file and print sharing on the XP2 Firewall?

3. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

yes i have a shared folder
    i thought i could not set ut the ip address as i have not got protocol in the propeties box or is there another way to set it up
    i have turned the firewall off
    cheers hope it helps you to help me

4. megamaced

You shouldn't have to install the protocols as TCP/IP is installed by default.

Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click 'Local Area Connection' > Properties > Click (once) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Click Properties.

Enter the IP address 192.168.0.1 for the main computer, and 192.168.0.2 for the second computer. The Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

5. megamaced

Whoops, forgot to add:

Right Click 'My Computer' > Properties > Computer Name Tab > Network ID button > Enter 'MSHOME' as the workgroup on BOTH computers.

Once that's all set up, double click 'My Network Places' on the desktop > View Workgroup computers (down the left hand side).

You should now see your home network.

I suppose you are going to ask how to share the internet? :D

6. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

internet protocol is not there so i can't do that (i don't know why its not there

7. megamaced

Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click 'Local Area Connection' > Properties > 'Install' button > Protocol > Microsoft TCP/IP

Make sure you have your Windows XP CD inserted in your CD-ROM drive

8. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

i've tried that and it says it can't find the file i have even tried to re-install the lan drivers and that has not helped this is not looking good

9. megamaced

Start > Run > Type 'CMD' > Type 'ping 127.0.0.1'

What's the outcome?

10. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

it comes up 4 packets sent 4 packets recieved 0 lost
    round trip in milli seconds hope this helps as i'm gettting ready to format my H/Drive and starting again cheers

11. megamaced

That means your TCP/IP stack IS working :confused:

To be honest, I am running out of ideas. It should be working now from the steps I have shown you!

Tell me what the outcome of this command is:

Start > Run > Type 'CMD' > Type 'IPCONFIG /all'

12. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

loads of writing come up am i looking for anything specifically cheers

13. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

one thing that does come up regually is
    netbios over Tcpip disabled

14. megamaced

Look for the IP address, and Subnet Mask & default gateway.

NETBIOS over TCP/IP has to be enabled. You won't be able to change it if you can't enter the Internet Protocal TCP/IP properties in the 'Local Area Connection' properties dialog.

15. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

sorry i got fed up with messing around with it and re-formatted my hard-drive and started again i'm just getting my stuff put back on and then i'll try to set up my network again i have had a quick look and the protocol is there now have you got a step by step guide so i get it right this time cheers v

16. megamaced

No need to apologise, it's your computer remember! :D

I've already given you a step by step guide in my previous posts! :confused: Remember I told you how to assign the IP address?

17. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

i have finally got it to share but i have not got a clue on how to share the internet i am on aol broadband cheers

18. megamaced

How have you set up your home network?

Is the following correct:

Your main PC has two network cards - one for the internet and one to connect to the second computer?

19. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

yes all connected and sharing files i've just re-installed my printer and i can use it on the 2nd pc i have enabled my mcafee firewall to allow the 2nd pc's ip address but i have heard its a bit tricky to sort out the internet connection as i'm on aol cheers

20. megamaced

Okay, lets do this :) It's very easy to set up, as long as you follow my instructions carefully!

Start > Run > Type 'CMD' > Type 'IPCONFIG /all'

Please list the IP Address, SubNet Mask & the Default Gateway of BOTH network cards.