New build randomly shutting down within 20 minutes

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by magician13134, Nov 11, 2010.

1. magician13134

magician13134 Geek Trainee

Hi everyone, I just put together a new computer (my first build) and everything seemed to go really smoothly until about 20 minutes in... The computer just shut itself off. I figured it was a one-time deal so I turned it back on and 20 minutes later the same thing happened (it may not be 20 minutes, but about that long). It's done this every time so far (about 5 times) and so I just went into the BIOS menu to watch the CPU temp, it stayed at 45C+1 the entire time, which as I understand is on the warmer side of average, but nothing that would shut down the computer.

I'm using:
    Intel i7-950 3.06GHz (stock fan)
    Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous PSU
    2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB GPU
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard
    In an Antec 900 case (plenty of fans, system temp was 35C)

Since I don't even have an OS installed (I can't get through the installation before it shuts off) I'm really not sure what to do. Do you think it might be the power supply? I have a 550W OCZ Fatality that I know is working, but I don't know if that's enough power for the computer to test it.

Thanks!

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

Is the PC shutting down after a certain time no matter what you do? I mean: whether you're in BIOS, whether you're installing a OS or whether you're just staring at "no bootable disk" text?

What is the actual shutdown interval length. Is it really around the same time or more random? Take measurements.

Try plugging something out. Like one memory module or the video card. And wait to see what goes on.

3. magician13134

It shuts down regardless of where I am/what I'm doing, yes.
    I don't know the exact interval, but I can take some measurements to see. Then I'll try taking stuff out and see if the length of time changes (or if it stops happening) and I'll get back to you. Thanks for the advice.

4. magician13134

Ok, so far I have tried two OS installations while timing it.
    The first was 18 minutes, 40 seconds while the second lasted only 7 minutes and 45 seconds. I'm going to try to disconnect some components to see if that might make a difference

Alright, I was down to the bare minimum, 1 stick of RAM, no video card, I unplugged front USB, Firewire and audio. It ran 12 minutes and then shut off. Does that mean it's either the power supply or the motherboard? I can switch that power supply into a different computer to see if it happens again.

Well, I plugged the power supply into another computer and it works fine. Does that mean the motherboard is broken? Is there anyway to test that?