New Build rant/suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by zeus, Mar 17, 2009.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

I dont want to sound like i'm creating a job for someone to do but my suggestion is for a sticky in the New Build forum addressing the masses of post asking "how's these components look for my new build?"

Most people are posting the specs of near perfect machines. Most are building machines for themselves so generally know what they want.

I think the only ones that need individual attention (if you like) are the people asking what "upgrades are worth buying for my 10 year old P3" etc

I dont know exactly how the thread could be written but what im thinking is something covering each component with a general answer depending on the type of pc they want.

I know im getting a bit specific now but an index of games sorted by published system requirements. And a general list of graphics cards.
    Grade 1 = best available
    Grade 3 = budget
    Grade D = "display" only.

"If you wanna play the most demanding of games get a grade 1 card"

"Newegg.com8700prOgeIL$45.87YoutubeHDMI - Retail"
    .... the link doesnt work!

Obviously, it would have to be updated. Probably not as often as people would like either.
    To me a graphics that scores 10000 is the same as a graphics card that scores 10500 or even 11000. The length of the internal cables and temperature of the owners left leg sat next to the pc could make a shaky to begin score sway 10%. imo :) So who cares wether the Nividia Jacobean250pro is better than the Jacobean300s ? I suppose people do. Either way your looking at 1 frame per 2 second difference. Assuming they are using the same motherboard!.

Sorry, put this in the Warfare Rant forum if you see fit :)
    I think you will proabably see what im getting at.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

suggestion

that is an excellent idea but i would have probably suggested 5 catagorys

A, the best of the best of the best ignoring the money it costs entirly
    B, still bl00dy good but not as good as catagory A
    C, a good general usage gfx card with a bit of extra umff
    D, a good all round card
    E, onboard gfx (crap)

this way people could recommend a catagory without actually knowing the the particular market

in fact this catagory system could be used for almost anything

nice one Zeus

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

really good idea, the only thing is I don't have much time to do anything at the moment. would be useful if we had someone to help programming wise...

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

suggestion

I like the idea :)

However, this seems to be quite a big jump in categories. eg Where would you put an nVidia 8400GS. It's not onboard graphics, but it's not really a good all round card either, maybe a category inbetween. I know it's a bit early to be deciding categories, but I just thought I'd point it out :)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

suggestion

well i'll do what i can because i've being wanting to learn to programming for a while & i currently have CodeBlocks on Vista & i'll soon have it on Debian when i decide to rebuild my Debian box (taken apart to clean)

well we can have as many catogories as we want

that was just an example