New Build Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by urb1972, Jan 25, 2006.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I'm not a completely green newbie at all this, I have successfully built computers before that are able to boot up...honest!

But this one won't...and I need your help finding out why...

Now I know some of the following may be brands you may not reccomend (PSU especially) but here goes...

Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0 Cable Detachable PSU
    Asus A8N5X Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3800
    CPU Cooler
    Maxtor 40gb Hard Drive
    Liteon DVD ReWriter
    Floppy Drive
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card
    Leadtek GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI-E)

The only sign of life is a green LED on the mobo when I've connected it all up.

I tried the PSU in another system and it works okay. But in this new system I don't get any sign of life from the PSU or the mobo, except for the green LED.

I've been careful to connect everything properly using air-friendly round cables, too.

Any ideas? Please help ASAP as this was meant to be built already, and I just know I'm gonna have to shell out £50 to get an engineer to say "Dunno...£50 please".

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I tend to be suspicious of power supplies that have blown up in two independent reviews, so that'd be the first place I'd start,

...assuming you've attempted to boot the system with a minimal config outside the case on a non-conductive surface. At this point check the following as well: the CPU fan header has the CPU fan connected to it. Some motherboards are preset to not boot if no fan is detected on the CPU fan header. Secondly, make sure all power connections on the motherboard are plugged in. If a company put a power connector there, it's very likely it's not for looks.