New built pc, monitor shows NO SIGNAL...omg help!

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by blizma, Sep 21, 2006.

1. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

Hi,

I have looked through hundreds of forums and websites about this problem, but no-one has the answere. I really hope you guys can help me.

I built a new pc, and when i turn it on, all the fans work, led's light up, the mobo light comes on green, cd drive works opens and closes, but, my monitor remains with the notes "no signal"

I tried the monitor on a different computer, it works fine!
    The graphics card is brand spanking new... cant try that on any other pc's cuz i dont have another in my house.
    I cant put an old graphics card in cuz the old one is agp... i dont have agp on this board.

Here are the specs :

ASUS mobo P5N32 SLI DELUXE
    Core 2 Duo E6600
    2GB DDR2 performance ram.. 5-5-5-12 800mhz OCZ
    1 DVD drive
    1 DVD burner
    1 Floppy disk
    XFX Geforce 7900 GT 256mb PCI-exp GDDR3
    500watt PSU

I have no idea... what i have done wrong, all of this is band new... :( oh exept the hdd thats 80gb from old pc, isnt formatted though, and i cant get it formated cuz the old psu blew.... = reason im building a new pc.

REALLLLLLYYYY apretiate any help!

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

first question, does your mobo 'beep'

second question does your gpu have the power connector plugged into it from the psu

3rd question does your pc boot

4th question is your 5v P4 connector connected to your mobo (along with the thick 12v)

3. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. ...well it turns on and fans go on, and every 1minute a brmmmm sound comes from the master cd drive... like its asking for a cd.
    4. All plugs are in the mobo.....

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

well typically when there's activity with devices (and none with the motherboard, ie no 'beeps') imo its most likely a problem wiv the 5v p4 connection or bios error

have you tried resetting the cmos with the jumper, it will be next to the litthium battery

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What's the make and model of your PSU?

6. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

right..... could you maybe describe that in more detaile? :S im a nnoobie hahe.

Also, I just rang a mate, he will give me an old pci graphics card to see if that works, because i just read that with newer graphics cards like my xfx, you have to install the driver manually via the cd... meaning i need old graph card to install that... hmm.. thATS only my last resort though.

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

good idea to try a new graphics card, although your mobo should warn you of faulty /not installed gpu's but installing a driver for windows for the new gpu is pointless as post screen doesnt even work

try resetting your bios, look on the mobo for the lithium battery (a silver shiney thing) next to it you will see a 'jumper' http://pics.livejournal.com/nhaines/pic/0002w04x (like this)

if you remove that and place it on the other 2 pins for about 10 seconds that will reset your cmos, place the jumper back to its original position and try turning your pc on

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Installing a driver only helps if you're in Windows. Your system isn't even going through a POST routine. 500W is pretty ambiguous, as not all 500W units are equal.

9. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

Right, Yes i am on windows xp... well thats what is on the HDD.. Id like to remind you that the HDD is not formated it has all the old driver infos and files on there from the old pc.. Dont know if thats a problem. As I speak im putting in a older graphics card geforce 5200 fx. Then ill try the cmos and jumper stuff :p

Thank you for help. I will update you guys in 10mins or so.

10. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

right... the update is that the so called pci card turns out to be and agp.... haha :p So, im going to newpaws cmos stuff...

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

lol 'o matic!!!11

12. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

On this picture... i only see a 3 pin thing, i believe this is for fans...
    Is a jumper, like somethihng that goes over a few pins to block them? and when i take jumper out, i turn pc on? then off, then take battery out to wipe the cmos...?

13. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hello jumpers are like switches, the pic is just for illistration purposes so you know what to look for dont remove the battery just move the jumper

if you locate the jumper next to the battery you will see that there is a pin free (2 pins on the jumper and one spare) pick up the pin and move it across one space so it coveres the other pin AND the other one, keep it locked in that position for about 10 secs then put it back to what it was

see pic below... the jumper (blue) might be vice-versa from illistration. the black thing is the pin

Attached Files:

14. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

ok. i done that. there is good and bad news :p

Bad : i bent one of the pins of the jumper, it didnt brake, i just bent it back into place, it is not loose its hard and not dangling :p

Good : The BRMMMM noise is only made once when i start up the pc for half a second, then its just the cd-rom looking for a disk noise.

Also screen still doesnt work :p

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

ok final question, sorry for being dumb but you have put the 5v AS WELL as the long 12v on ur mobo coz p4 cpus need its own power, also the new ATX mobo's require 24-pins not 20 for the snake-like connector there should be an extra 4 pins for the 24-v connector, this extra 4-pin connector will be alble to come off

16. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

oh, the 4pin thing? looks like :

__.__
    |__|__|
    |__|__|

LOL ... ye I have :p

17. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

you know what would be greate? If you had icq or yahoo or msn... that would be really nice because i can switch my webcam on to show you or somit. Then when it finally works, we post the solution here for others? :)

18. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

is there any pin spaces left on the mobo 12v for the snake connector? sorry we're bein dumb now but vital

if you look on ya 20-24pin power connector on the mobo is there any connectors not plugged in

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

i got msn [email protected]

20. blizma

blizma Geek Trainee

alll off that is plugged in....
    24pin :p