New Mid tower Case

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by royknives, Jan 6, 2005.

1. royknives

royknives Geek Trainee

Hello I am starting out to build my own pc...I am looking for a good case to buy that I can grow with...I have been looking at the Lian Li Pc 60 aluminum case...Is this a good case...can someone suggest something better.... :eek: thanks

2. Addis

Addis The King

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't had one, but Lian Li's are well designed and manufactured cases. They're also rather expensive, and there's some competition from the likes of CoolerMaster, ThermalTake (the non-ricer cases), and Silverstone (among others) that you should look into. Lian Li cases are very nice, but it's just that the prices for them are a bit much for my tastes. $200 for a case...uhh sorry. Some rackmount cases with redundant power supplies and a lot of server-related gadgets, I can see spending a lot of money on. But that's just me.

4. royknives

royknives Geek Trainee

Big B,
    The case I was thinking about is at this link http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-022&depa=1 ..no where near $200. It seems to have a very positive rating...My concern is getting a well made case...and most of all if down the road I want to change my system, I shouldn't have any problems.
    Addis, thanks for the link looked it up but didn't like the review...I was really dissapointed however w/ the AGP/PCI slot covers. They have to be broken off in order to get a card in. Not a big deal until you stop using that card and want the slot covered This is what I am talking about..I want something that will not be obsolete...am I asking to much... :confused:

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't really kept track of cases that much, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised my figure was off. $90 isn't too bad, but that's still kinda pricey IMO, but it's better to pay $90 with a good construction. Just don't forget the shipping charges (the one you linked has $15.99 for shipping). From personal experience, I've been very pleased with the Antec SX1030B. Really nice to work with. Removable drive cages (which the Lian Li PC60 has), and drive rails for the 5.25" bays (the PC60 doesn't have that)

Cases are one thing that I would check the local PC shops for, mostly because of the shipping charges on weight. You can also see if you like the case from looking at it in person, rather than just pics online.

Slot covers are cheap to get, so I *really* wouldn't make that a big priority. Many cases have this, so it's pretty universal. Not every case has them, but again, it's not a big deal to me. From the all the info I've seen (and what I do remember), the slot covers on the PC60 do have removable slot covers, rather than the break-off types.

7. royknives

royknives Geek Trainee

Thanks all...I really appreciate the help :good:

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Antec P160 check out my gallery shots on My Hardware Page its the Antec + Barton screenshot - lovely case.

9. royknives

royknives Geek Trainee

ProcalX, Nice Photo's Let me ask you something...I notice that you have a big cable right in front of the Cpu fan...that doesn't effect air flow? otherwise nice neat job.... :good: Good Looking case too... :chk:

10. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Not so much as a regular case fan, becuase that CPU fan doesn't move as much air. But you can always move cables around

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

It's an incredibly nice case, i would get one now if i wasn't going away in 3 months.

As for the cable, yes it does block air flow, but its not my system anymore, i sold it last October.

12. TacticalFlow

TacticalFlow Geek Trainee

Ok im looking for a case also and i found these 2 are my final ones BUT i dont know to much about what makes a good case so maybe you guys can help me out.. First i think good cooling helps right? This one has 5 fans and you also need a good psu.. Im willing to spend that much tho if its worth it..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-090&depa=1

I dont know if antec makes good psu's. The prices is pretty high but it might be worth the money? I dont think i need 500watts anyways.. Im getting 6800gt amd64 3200+ or 3500+ on nforce4 or asus..

The other case is the one that harrack52 suggested

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-124&depa=1

Post away!

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Both are very good chassis with airflow where it counts. You're well off either way.

14. royknives

royknives Geek Trainee

Well, I am still looking but narrowed it down to at least a aluminum case...I like the fact that they disapate heat...and seem to be good quality... :good:
    Keep the suggestions going...I appreciate all the help.

15. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Just to say if you are building any sort of AMD64 rig, with a good graphics card you should ideally get atleast 450W in a good psu.

ThermalTake
    Antec
    Tagan
    Enermax
    OCZ

all very good high quality makes of psu, personally the ThermalTake psu's i find are the best as they offer more power for cash, and they can be fan controlled (inbuilt) which is great, as with good case cooling u can set it to low for a V.quiet pc :D

16. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

You realize that the amount of heat that they dissapate is so minute that it almost doesnt make any difference comapred to steel cases. A case with good air flow is all that matters. I personally love my case, Antec SLK3700AMB. Great airflow, silent, great cable management options, packed with features, and much more. Theres a black version, the SLK3700BQE, that you may want to check out also. GL with your decision!