New PC Build - Restarts - No BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by jimmy89, Jun 15, 2013.

1. jimmy89

jimmy89 Geek Trainee

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that some of you hardware experts out there could possibly help me get to the bottom of my irritating problem.

As the heading states, I have a new PC build, which restarts with no (helpful) errors in windows logs and no BSOD on restart.

This is my spec.

Asrock 970 Extreme4
    240GB SSD
    EVGA 650 Ti Boost
    AMD FX 6300 Six Core
    4GB XMS3 Corsair Memory
    750 Watt PSU

Basically, I am having issues with the computer restarting, it can happen whilst performing meaningless tasks (Downloading Origin) but mostly when doing something a little more intense like installing graphics drivers or playing games.

I know what you are thinking, its the graphics cards. I personally don't think so, I have an old MSI 785GM Mobo, I have hooked up all the parts onto that, and have not had a single issue at all with that build. (Used for over a week and not a single crash)

I have had memtest running with no errors for about 6 hours. I am currently running Prime95, so far (3 hours) with no errors.

The motherboard has been back to the retailer and "tested" and come back with no problems.

I have unchecked the Automatically restart option in windows to display an error, still no errors, the only errors that correspond to the restarting in event viewer are as follows.

"The system has rebooted without clearly shutting down first, This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

The only thing I can think of now, is to take out all the parts and put them into an identical motherboard (which I have) and see if the problem still exists. I think it is the motherboard that is faulty but the manufacture wont take it back.

All drivers are also up to date.

Any help would be fantastic, as right now, I am unsure of what to do.

Thank you

James

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea! I am not a big fan of Asrock Motherboards, They have cause me nothing but problems..They are a cheaply made motherboard... There are 3 main things that cause the computer just to shut down like that, Heat is number one, Virus is number two, And third is your power supply..If all of these are ruled out, then the Motherboard is bad.

3. jimmy89

jimmy89 Geek Trainee

Thank you for your reply Ghostman. I can assure you its not a virus as I am using a fresh install of Windows 8. I highly doubt its over heating, as installing a graphics driver and 2 minutes of game play is not going to get to a hot enough level.
    So I guess I'm stuck with a faulty motherboard.