New PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Matt555, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm thinking of getting a Tagan TG480-UO1 power supply. It has 28A on the 12V rail which is very high for my needs. I'm hoping this will provide my computer with enough power as since i put my DL DVD+/-RW drive in it has been crashing (it never did before thats why i think it's not getting enough power)
    What do you guys/gals (as there are girls on this forum) think about this PSU, i know they are a trusted brand which is why i am thinking of getting one.
    I was thinking of a Hiper Type 'R' Modular 580w PSU however I know they arent a well known brand and i only know of willhub who has had any experience with them and was reluctant to buy one. Which do you think would be better, i'm thinking the Tagan one myself.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Go with the targen, there would be no reason to blow all that money on "Hiper Type 'R' Modular 580w PSU" when you don't need anywhere close to 580wts anyway. Stick with what's well known.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool i was going to get a hiper one a while back but didnt. i looked into tagan ones and ocz ones. modular ones are nice but i dont need to worry about excess cables, there's always somewhere to tuck them.
    i only have an old Celeron 2.6GHz so 28A on the 12V rail is more than enough and should provice more stability, i also realise that it will probably be able to put out more power at a higher temerature (my current generic one cannot...i think the motherboard must not be getting power as when it freezes, the whole computer locks up and nothing works, even my usb mouse which is a trackball with a light goes off and the light doesnt come on which means there's something wrong with the motherboard i think) it does it without warning, nothing to tell me its going to lock up, it just does.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Man buy it quick sounds like you're PSU is rapidly dying on you. I've had a random crash once but otherwise I've had quite good luck with my Orion semi-generic came-with-case psu.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i going to, i going to search around to get it the cheapest as i dont wanna spend loads on it. i have a 400W PSU as well but thats generic (and not trusted like i sort of trust this one as i have had it for nearly 2 years) so if i cant get it before this PSU dies then i'll use that one if i have to. I hope to get it soon though.
    i also worked out its not an overheating problem a while back before anyone says its getting too hot. 20*C for a CPU...thats not hot at all, 27-33*C for a System case temp....not too hot either...i love my cooling setup...and its not even water cooled! (good old artic cooling eh Ex?!)

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hehe, go Matt!

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

heh yeah, i am not just looking at the tagan one though, i have been looking at enermax and ocz PSU's i really dont want to spend more than £50 on the new PSU and i would like something along the lines of a 450W unit.
    What do you think of the: Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU
    i can get it for just over £50 (+p&p) and would seriously consider getting one but i can find the ratings of the different lines on it.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Okay so i got rid of all the random talking and have found these PSU's, what do you think of them.
    http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=602961
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=35884
    http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=4727
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86751
    http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=603645
    My system is listed over to the left and soon i will be buying an aerocool gatewatch (but these only take up a small amount of power right)
    I was thinking about something along the lines of a 400-450W unit but if a power supply can give out a true 380W of power this should be enough.
    if anybody knows of any other good PSU's i would be very grateful, i really dont want to spend more than £50 though.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've not dealt with Hiper before. I will say that their 580W unit does look to be pretty solid on the rails. The thing is, they haven't been over here in the states that much. If I were you, I'd hit up the likes of Hexus and see what they're saying about Hiper PSU's.

Now, Tagan PSU's are supposed to be quite solid, and something that I'd go with if you're on a budget. The 480W unit will be good now, but give you some muscle down the road.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

okay so i decided to get a tagan 420W PSU but there are 2, both have the same specification and price but one has lights in it. i think i will get the one with lights in it as this will look good with current lights in my case unless anyone can find something wrong.
    One without lights
    One with lights

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

damn, everytime i think 'right i am going to buy this PSU' i find another one.
    I found a website which has low prices and free delivery (YAY!) as delivery from some places can be quite a lot if an item is quite heavy/big.
    so i am back to considering the Hiper PSU (a 480W version) or an Akasa 460W PaxPower PSU.
    Hiper PSU (480W)
    Akasa PSU (460W)
    so its either one of these or the tagan ones mentioned above....i really need to make my mind up dont i? ;)

14. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

man, you sure do change your mind alot!
    id go for the Hiper 480W

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i know, its deciding between, cost, Wattage (for future upgrade-a-bility) amperage and trusted reliability.
    The hiper is good for the money and willhub speaks well of them although he has the 580w version i think. 480W is enough for me and i would like good ratings on the 12V rail for future upgrades and system stability. The tagan ones provide 22A for the 420W version and the hiper only 18A (but on the second 12V rail is has 16A and i really dontunderstand the whole dual 12V rail thing, are they 2 of those square type connectors with 4 pins that are used to power the CPU? except one attaches to the 20Pin motherboard connector for newer Motherboards?)
    EDIT: my current PSU has 28A on the 3.3V rail 30A on the 5V rail and 15A on the 12V rail. I would lie something a little more than this as which is why the tagan is a good idea, good wattage, good amperage, good price and a trusted brand.

16. pelvis_3

yeah the 20 pin also has an extra 'breakaway' 4 pin just like the ATX 12v connector,
    basically dual rails is better than one!
    18A will do the job till your next upgrade and then you can utilise both rails!

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah but i like the idea of having that extra little bit on the tagan, anyway its down to that now (check a few posts ago to see the one with lights and one without lights) i am going to get one of those, probably with lights as i like lights and its the same price.

18. pelvis_3

19. pelvis_3

yeah lights are good but arent really visible on PSU's unless you dont have any other lighting in your case!

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well i have ordered new PSU (with a couple of other bits)
    i ordered the Tagan TG480-U01 in the end, more power for the future.
    not bad i got it for just over £55 considering some places are charging up to £70 for it