No Sound =(

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by PrettyVacant, Jun 22, 2006.

1. PrettyVacant

PrettyVacant Geek Trainee

Well, We just bought and installed Windows XP, now theres no sound and theres installer disc with our speakers, I went through control panel etc to try to fix this, and i also looked on the net for any drivers. So, I'm stuck as to what I can do to fix this =(, I'd really appreciate any help with this, Thanks Alot =)

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Check your device manager. Can you see any yellow exclamatery sign over there in front of sound?
    If you run troubleshoot sound in windows, you will come across many solutions. I would recommend you to try that as well.

3. PrettyVacant

There's a yellow exclamation mark over "Multimedia Audio Controller" But thats all, and I tried troubleshooting through control panel but it didn't work. Apparently everytime our computer's crashed the sounds gone too, if that makes a difference? I was never the one to fix it though :S

4. Karanislove

Did you get recovery CD with your PC. Is your sound onboard?
    What did you do when your windows crashed?(Any installation of Software or Hardware)

5. PrettyVacant

Erm, the other times it crashed some dude we know re-installed windows for us, and they did everything, but it crashed again so we bought windows today and installed that. Someone made this pc for us though, so no recovery disc's or anything, There's no sound at all, the pc beeps instead :S

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Have you got a soundcard or is it an onboard one?
    Its gotta be a driver problem. My SB card doesnt do anything until I install the creative drivers. Xp doesnt cater for it.

7. PrettyVacant

I'm completely computer illiterate.. I haven't a clue as to the difference. I just found a driver somewhere and installed it though, and now it plays, but i just can't hear anything

8. Karanislove

Double click on the sound Icon and see if Master and Wave volume bar is up and not muted.

Edit: Check your player as well, is it mute? alternatively try on some other player to check the sound.

9. PrettyVacant

Yeah they're all up, I just checked... I swear this pc just hates me *L*

10. Karanislove

It looks mad but sometimes happens so just to make sure....Check that you have inserted the speakers pins properly in the right port nd yea try to play the file in some other player as well.

11. PrettyVacant

Yup.. it's all plugged in properly, and it plays in media player & there's no sound, and it just wont start playing in itunes, but there not a warning message

12. Karanislove

Can u still see a yellow exclamatery sign in your Device Manager?

13. PrettyVacant

14. Karanislove

Have you got a sound Card or you use onboard?

15. PrettyVacant

I'm not sure :S I don't know what onboard is?

16. Karanislove

What did you install when you said that I found driver CD. May be it could help to find out the difference. Alternatively, it will also help me finding latest driver for you sound then.

17. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

18. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

do you know what motherboard you are using and what soundcard you have. If not, try installing Everest to see what hardwares you have. Then repost it back here so we can give you a link of the correct driver for your card.

19. PrettyVacant

Thanks alot for all your help guys.. I still wasn't sure on all that stuff, but I just updated all the sound drivers and it works.. took long enough! Thanks alot everyone