Old Enermax PSU and Haswell

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by n00bster, Feb 12, 2014.

1. n00bster

n00bster Geek Trainee

I have been building and upgrading my own computers for some years now but I was carrying out an upgrade the othernight and have hit a stumbling block and was hoping someone could help.

My current rig:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair))
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX
    2x Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.9V
    PowerColor HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    Enermax 1000W Galaxy CrossFire EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU

My upgrades:
    Intel Core i7 4771 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB
    Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 Socket 1150 HDMI DVI ATX Motherboard
    Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V Ballistix Tactical UDIMM 240pin
    Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO

Once I had put everything together I tried to boot the PC but the power supply kept auto-tripping out. At first I thought I had blown the PSU during the upgrade (somehow) but when I tested it with my old motherboard it worked fine and would power up. Next I thought the new motherboard might be faulty but when connecting another PSU it works fine and boots to BIOS no problem.

I think that the problem is to do with the new lower power states of the Haswell chips. After some research I discovered that my Enermax power supply is fitted with some protection hardware which can shut down to prevent damage to other hardware, I’m guessing the new chip triggers some protection. The board will power up for a second and then the power supply cuts out, the LED turns red and I get a 2 beep-pause-2 beep pattern from the PSU.

My power supply is fairly old (bought in 2007) but still has more than enough power to run my PC so I would rather not replace it if possible. I have tried disabling C1e, C3 and C6/C7 states in the BIOS but it still will not boot. Has anyone else experienced this issue with an Enermax PSU or know a work around for it?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. n00bster

n00bster Geek Trainee

I will now be replacing my PSU as soon as I can.
    The power supply is the component I know the least about and I have always just bought the most expensive one I could afford - can anyone recommend me a decent power supply or advise me on what I should be looking for?

Current Specs:
    Intel Core i7 4771 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB
    Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 Socket 1150 HDMI DVI ATX Motherboard
    PowerColor HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V Ballistix Tactical UDIMM 240pin
    Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO
    2x 2TB SATA HDD
    (plus some extra kick for peripherals/phone charging/gfx card upgrade later in the year)

Cheers

3. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Where are you buying from?

4. n00bster

n00bster Geek Trainee

I usually buy from ebuyer amazon ebay etc..
    Wherever is cheapest normally!

5. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I don't so it's hard to recommend anything when you don't know prices and what's available.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I usually use Newegg.com as a reference in the US. Depending on your needs, a solid PSU of 700W+ on a Haswell-ready PSU would be plenty (unless you want to run Crossfire/SLI beyond 2-way) and probably found under the $150 mark. I'm sure Enermax has some, but also look at Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec, Silverstone, and Seasonic. You might want to avoid OCZ and PC Power & Cooling, since OCZ just went under and support just isn't there now.