OldSchool rig

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by mule412, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mule412

mule412 Geek Trainee

I frequently dabble in previous generation technology and i was wondering if there would be a difference of upgrading a 900mhz athlon slot a to a 1.2ghz or 1.3ghz athlon, or should i just not even waste my money

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

By only moving up 2 or 3 steps, I don't think it would be noticeable..

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Its the sort of thing I'd keep my eye out for but probably wouldn't actively look/buy one new for such a small increase, more often than not as soon as you buy legacy hardware you find an identical one you squirreled away years ago (in my experience anyway :D )

4. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

probably very minor, but yes. But it would not make any difference upgrading that anyway lol

5. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

Well, P.C"s have moved on a lot now, may be a good idea to invest in something a little more up todate.
    Realistically you can buy a P.C. a lot more powerfull than you have now for around 200.00 :rolleyes:

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yup, fully agree. It's a waste of money to upgrade legacy hardware unless you get the upgrade parts for free or very near to free (think thrift shop). Otherwise, if you're going to buy parts, you might as well go modern. You can build a recent-model barebones system for almost nothing these days, which would end up being faster than a whole cluster of the machine you have now.

7. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Sometimes you want an old school rig to run old school games as they don't always run the same or at all in emulators (and may not want the experience of having to run the emulator to play the game).

But agreed, "I", a manic old school console player who runs old game consoles using original cartridges/discs as well as running them on pc emu's (as well as old pc games like Mean 18 (golf), ...) wouldn't spend a lot on legacy upgrading for a generic old school pc. I find old parts or whole pcs in Salvation Army stores, at Flea markets or on eBay on the cheap, might take a little longer but makes it fun too (like a scavenger hunt ;+)

Manic49er