oMG! Lexmark start supporting Linux!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Apr 2, 2010.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well iĺl go to the foot of our stairs!

this news is excellent, and it also makes me feel i made the right decision, drop-kicking MS in favour of *nix

BTW: any opinion on x (xfree86, xorg) the reason i´m asking is i´m considering trying either xfree 4.8.x or xorg 7.5

from what i found xfree have become somewhat complacent because they invented x but xorg have being working their b4lls off to make xorg better

any comments anyone ?

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I think Xfree86 was forked around 2004 because of a change in it's licensing, which brought the arrival of Xorg as we know it today. I know that Xfree86 is still being maintained and updated but I don't know much about it i.e is it compatible with current proprietary graphics drivers and how it performs. But ultimately, I can't see a reason to switch to Xfree86. Most Linux distros use Xorg and its certainly stable enough!

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thats consistent with what ive read, but do you know if what i think is true

is xorg configerd for NVidia boards by default ?

as i´ve found no nvidia drivers for xorg

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You mean, Linux users can experience the same crappy printers Windows users already have the luxury to do? A for effort, F for quality.

6. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

Ok cool real nice.