PC not powering on...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Joshi, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Joshi

Joshi Geek Trainee

...sometimes.

So here's what happens. Every so often, when I need to do something inside my PC, after finishing, I'll plug everything back in and it won't power up.

Now I'm very careful, I use an anti-static wrist strap, I unplug everything and earth myself properly and so on and so forth, but sometimes, upon plugging everything back in, I get nada. And then, after much power button holding and swapping of power leads and sockets and prayers to whatever deity will listen, it will finally start up, at which point, I'm usually good to go until the next time I need to open her up.

So, my question, what is this likely to be, the power button itself or the PSU? I haven't done any extensive testing, but it only tends to happen after I've switched off power to the PSU, switching on and off my PC normally doesn't tend to have this problem.

Any ideas?

2. johnny.dacu

johnny.dacu Geek Trainee

My guess is the PSU. But the entire behavior is not normal. You shoud check you power source maybe the problem is comming from that.

3. Joshi

Joshi Geek Trainee

Well, when this happens I do try other outlets, and they either work or they don't. But I don't have similar issues with other electronics (including my old PC), so I'm assuming it's the PSU. Kinda annoying, as I liked that PSU, but I guess it's time to get a better, name brand PSU.

Thanks fo your help.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

try changing out the power supply to see what happens, It sounds like your power supply is just starting to go BAD....

5. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

Same thing happened with my system a week after I got it. It turned out the PSU was a bad unit. I just went to the store and they replaced it.

6. henry222

henry222 Geek

A bit late . . . .

Probably the PSU . . . . I agree . . . . why not try an alternative?
    As I understand it, the PSU is in "sleep-mode" when you switch-off using the mouse. So if it has a start-up problen, it's already started. When you mod the PC you disconnect the supply, hence it's a cold-start.

Probably not worth trying to fix it, just replace it if you care.

Personally I would not leave my PC in that sleep-mode - I always remove the ac supply (double-pole) - by a Distribution-board, this also powers the printer, ext HDD (if switched on), monitor and PC1, PC2.
    This G'tees any malware cannot start-up when I'm out and prevents lightning risk slightly (although my incoming power is by cable).

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.