PC powers off completely while playing BF3

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Seraphiczero, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Seraphiczero

Seraphiczero Geek Trainee

Hi,

Before I go into my issue, here are my specs for my PC:

1TB SATA II 3.0 GB 7200RPM HD 1
    4 GB DDR3/ 1600 MHZ MEMORY 2
    ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER 1
    CASE FAN 120 MM 1
    CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES 700D FULL TOWER CASE 1
    ASUS P8P67-M INTEL P67 CROSSFIRE DDR3 USB3.0 SATA3 LGA 1155 (REV 3.0)
    XTREMEGEAR 700 WATT POWER SUPPLY
    EVGA GTX550 TI 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E DIRCTX 11
    INTEL I5-2500K 3.30 GHZ 6M LGA 1155

I was doing some gaming on Battlefield 3 when all of a sudden my PC would shut off completely. No fans going, no Blue Screen of Death or anything else similar. It would take a little bit before I could press the power switch to turn it back on. This occured many times, and me being to lazy, just kept on playing away as if nothing strange was going on. Until it finally didn't turn back on, even after using air to blow on the components or opening the case to let it cool down. I tried surfing the internet, finding out information, but just believing that maybe the power supply has been damaged or destroyed. But the LED on the Motherboard remained on with the power supply connected.

Well, I removed the power supply from the PC completely, and tossed it after using Rosewill PSU tester and getting a bad indicator that it wasn't any good. So, I was planning on purchasing a new one to see if it fix the problem.

My question is...what would the best power supply be for my system and was it the PSU that caused the instant shut downs? Thanks for all the help and sorry for the wall of text.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What was the old PSU make ? I would go with Good brand one, Like Antic, OCZ ,Corsair ... There is allot of them, just get one with a high rating of 70% or higher..

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Power supply or CPU overheating. You'll need to ensure the CPU cooler is properly mounted. If you completely remove it, it's best to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and heatsink. After that, apply a paper-thin layer of the new product. (If it's too thick, it will act as an insulator.) Finally, reinstall the cooler.

If you still can't power on after that, then definitely replace the power supply. I've never heard of XtremeGear power supplies. Not to say they're bad, but I can't find anything positive about them. As Ghostman suggested, invest in a quality power supply: Corsair, Antec (except for the Basiq line), Thermaltake, Silverstone, Seasonic, Enermax...to name a few. Anything in the 650-750W range should be fine. Even if it's not the problem here, I would strongly recommend replacing it immediately. A good power supply will serve you well, while a bad one can cause all sorts of hell.

As long as the power supply didn't blow up and release the magic smoke (a power supply that dies tends to release a bit of smoke), you shouldn't have to worry about anymore problems.