PC running slow after x64 install, even though I have Athlon64

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by dhvl2712, Sep 12, 2010.

1. dhvl2712

dhvl2712 Geek Trainee

I installed 64 bit XP on My PC but for some reason I couldn't connect to the internet, probably some driver issue. So thinking it was too much trouble, I re-installed the old 32 bit XP Pro Version on my PC. Now the PC is running a bit slower, and the error messages I get about anything are very different. That's not a problem, but does that indicate that I messed up my PC in some way by installing 64 bit and then installing 32 bit over it? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.:)

PC specs: AMD Athlon 64(X2) Dual Core Processor 3600+, 2.01 GHz, 3.00 GB of ram, XP Pro SP2

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

it's true that on a natively 64 bit system, 32 bit software runs atop a emulated 32 bit environment. Obviously, anything emulated is prone to being slower than a native environment. But I do not think that you screwed your system up by installing 64 bit xp and only then 32 bit xp (unless you installed them properly with all the formatting and stuff).

On a side note - the 64-bit XP was just plainly terrible. The first real attempt to make a 64 bit OS by MS. Don't use it. At least I've had mostly only problems with it...

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have to agree with edijs, 64 bit on XP does not run too good, I would do a total reinstall, But make sure you do a real good format, do the full format install of the quick one.
    then try to install the 32 bit xp ...