PC Will not boot!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rld0829, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, the RAID controller is newer than what info XP comes with. You will need to get the drivers for this controller and have them on a floppy disk. When you install XP, you'll have to hit F6 at the beginning of the installation, and a few minutes later it will ask for a storage controller driver. This is when you feed it that floppy.

2. rld0829

rld0829 Geek Trainee

Ok I know what you're saying, where do I find the drivers for the RAID controller?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's the problem. I have no clue what one you have. Beyond suspecting that it's either a Promise or Highpoint controller, I really can't say. I don't know what motherboard you have, so I can't give you any more specific info as much of it would be useless. While I would say to look on your motherboard driver CD, it's common practice to include drivers and utilities for other motherboards and/or hardware that the company makes. I don't like dancing around the issue, but that's all I can do. I'll check back when I get off of work next year (ha-ha).

4. rld0829

rld0829 Geek Trainee

I just downloaded the raid controller driver onto a floppy and tried hitting F6 when it asked me to during the winXP setup and it just acted like i didn't hit it and kept going!

It's a A7N8X-E Asus mobo

5. rld0829

rld0829 Geek Trainee

I just checked it again and it did detect it just didn't right away as I was hitting F6.....so the XP setup now detects my HD finally! the raid drivers worked............now hopefully the setup succeeds

6. rld0829

rld0829 Geek Trainee

Setup failed because it couldn't copy over a file from the CD.....it let me ignore and continue but it probably wouldn't of installed correctly GOD!

7. rld0829

rld0829 Geek Trainee

Nope, tried again and same thing......this is like the 230598th thing that has gone wrong.