PCtel HSP56 modem problem: "There is no dial tone".

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by _vibe, Oct 30, 2003.

1. _vibe

_vibe Guest

The modem is detected properly by Windows ME. It is set on COM4, IRQ10. There are no conflicts with other devices. ME can communicate with the modem (when I press the "More options..." tab, I get all info about the modem). Â_Here go the details that I get after clicking "More options..." tab: Port COM4, Interrupt 10, Address 1000, UART NS 16550AN, Highest speed 115K Baud, (No hardware ID for this modem), ATI1 A97/C02, ATI2 OK, ATI3 PCtel 7.64 - 9KI - MS, ATI4 PCtel Data/Fax/Voice..., ATI5 HSP v.90, ATI6 OK, ATI7 OK, AT+FCLA... 0,1,8.

Â_The cord getting into the modem (LINE jack) has dialtone (checked with another device).

Â_What is the problem and what should be done?

Â_Thank you very much, Gerhard.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

The first thing I'd look at is if the cables are plugged in correctly. (If the wall cable is in the line connector and if the phone cable is in the phone connector)

If they are, try completely uninstalling it and let ME detect it and configure it the way it wants.

If it still doesn't work, try the modem in different slots.

You can also try different modems to see if they work, and also try this one in another system, if possible.

I have the same modem and I have all kinds of problems configuring it too. Sometimes it wants to work, sometimes not, unfortunately.

If all these fail, we'll look for other solutions.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

This probably doesn't help much, but I also had a PCTel HSP, and I simply couldn't get it going on NT5 until I rearranged some resources and let it have COM 3. I don't have a clue why that would be with a supposedly plug & play device. When the same modem was put into a home-built linux router, it had absolutely no problems with any resource address. Could it be the Windows drivers?

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Maybe, drivers is another thing he can try.

Like I said, sometimes mine worked, sometimes it didn't. I couldn't tell you why if my life depended on it !

5. Anti-Trend

Hmm, in that case, maybe the answer is to simply get a new modem? If you live in the continental US, you can grab one for $8 delivered from here: http://www.mrtechus.com/modem.html.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I know modems are very cheap these days but if you want a good hardware modem, as opposed to a win modem, I suggest us robotics: US Robotics 5699B 56k V.92 Internal FaxModem PCI - RETAIL
    for $31. At newegg of course.

It's more expensive, but you're much less likely to encounter problems.

7. Anti-Trend

Harrack52, I totally agree (as always), but IMHO if you have a 1GHz processor or better, the modem takes up so little CPU process, it doesn't matter anyways :)