please help, im stomped..

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by jaggy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

I have an HP laptop with windows 7 x64. (dv7) Starts normal, logs in normal but after i log in, most programs won't open for about 30 minutes! After that a bunch of programs i tried to start all start at once.

Internet Explorer is one of them and does not start, the process shows up in the task manager but the application does not show up. Google Chrome works right away. When i go to msconfig and disable ALL SERVICES then IE and all other programs start right away, so i deduce that the problem is with one of the Services. The event viewer shows repeated problems with Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service however disabling it does nothing to fix my issue.

I ran chkdsk, did system restore, cleared temp files. Its impossible for me to find the problem service because whenever i change the Services Tab in msconfig it hangs the same way for about 30 minutes before it exits. I did it once but i disabled all services and it worked, but i need most of those services so you see my problem. To single out one service i would literally have to wait 30 min to disable each and restart (only to wait another 30 min before i am able to change anything.

As much as i looked on other forums for people with a similar issue, i only found reports of window hanging after starting or hanging a few minutes after. Noone seems to know anything about my problem.

Windows starts and then sits idle (0-2% CPU) for 30 minutes before everything starts working. Some programs work, like Chrome, most don't, can't install, can't do anything right for those 30 min, but when they pass the computer functions perfectly.

Please, can you help me?

2. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

The event viewer is full of errors relating to the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service literally almost every minute saying:

"The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The operation completed successfully."

I don't understand what it means.. its like looping doom until it gives up or something.

3. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

Disabled: Server Service
    Disabled: Secure Socket Tunneling Service

Problem was fixed but the internet is gone.. :(
    Enabled Server Service again, internet works but im back to square one. Waiting for msconfig to close.

Wat do now?

4. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

Disabled both services again, internet is back. How do i repair the two services?

5. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

According to this wiki, Category:Windows 7 Services - Process and Service wikithe server service is for file and print sharing across a network and if you dont need to do this you can disable it. The other service is for remotely accessing a server or vpn, and you can disable that as long as your ISP doesnt require you to connect with it. The first thing I would try is running a malware scan on the computer. At the hospital where I work, we use a program called Malwarebytes for this and have had really good results. The other program you should try running is Ccleaner which gets rid of a lot of junk collecting on hard drives. You can also try running an anti-virus scan to see if the computer is infected. Where disabling all the services solved the slowness problem, you can also try tweaking the services individually. This page will give you advice on which to change and which to leave alone. Improve performance by disabling Windows 7-services I would still try doing the virus/malware scans first though as one of those may solve the issue before you have to manually change the services. You may want to boot to safe mode with networking so that you can download and install the software without the extreme latency you are experiencing. Safe mode starts with minimal services so hopefully you will not get the slowness you get with a normal boot. :)

jaggy likes this.
  6. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

Thanks, that gives me a little insight. Unfortunately my friend needs both services in his office, mbam didn't find anything.

7. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

I do not know how to fix a specific service for Windows 7 as I do not have that yet. However, you can try doing this repair installation of windows 7 Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums . It states that your data will be safe while doing this... However, I would still back up anything you might want to keep because you never know what might happen. It sounds like you have to do this while being logged in and not in safe mode, so you should disable those 2 services that are causing you trouble before doing this. If there is a problem with you your installation, this should take care of it I think. Its kind of like the nuclear option but I dont know how else you can repair those broken services :O