Please Help Me "reboot And Select Proper Boot Device"

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by WJC1981, Nov 19, 2015.

1. WJC1981

WJC1981 Geek Trainee

First of all thanks for reading this Ive got myself in a mess here
    My dad asked me to fix his laptop for him basically it wouldnt boot into Windows I tried the repair etc and still nothing so I was just going to install Windows, however he has no CD drive in his laptop, I tried to create a bootable USB but that just took me to the Windows recovery menu which didnt work.
    So I took my hard drive out of my laptop and put his in and installed Windows all went fine, however Ive now tried to plug it into his laptop and it comes up with an error message "Reboot and select proper boot device" Ive tried everything going into the BIOS and changing the time etc.
    In the meantime he has now bought a CD drive for it but I cant even get it to read the CD drive as even though Ive changed the boot sequence and got CD frist it comes up with that message.
    What can I do I have thought about buying a cheap 2.5" HDD caddy and try formatting the HDD again on my laptop and then try putting it back in, any help appricated!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do I correctly understand the following?

-You installed Windows on your laptop hard drive
    -Said drive was moved over your father's laptop?

Depending on the chipset variations, that may not always fly. Windows was pickier in older itinerations, especially when chipsets from different vendors were involved, say moving from VIA to Intel. Today, that's less of an issue, but worth noting.

The age of the laptop might also limit the capacity of drive used or might require a BIOS update for proper functionality.

There's a lot of ifs here, and we might be able to dial in on the problem if we know which one it is.

3. WJC1981

WJC1981 Geek Trainee

First of all many thanks for your response, you are right in assuming that Windows was installed on my laptop then put into my dads.

Would it work if I put his hard drive back into my laptop and formatted it as hes now getting a CD drive but Im not sure how to get a DOS commmand as the one in safe mode doesnt work as its still accesing Wibdows

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Does the laptop recognize any drives in BIOS?