Possible good value laptops?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Addis, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

My dad had a discussion and said he coud get me a laptop for my b-day. We're going on holiday in a week and if i want to take it with me, i'm going to have to get it from a retail store or find a very fast online shop.

He's given me a budget of £700, but really i don't want him to spend that much so around £600 if possible. any good laptops for this price? If its Centrino, then I don't mind, mobile P4 then you can f-off. mobile Sempron don't mind or M-AXP.

Please keep in mind I'm in the uk, so uk stores only please.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    I'm looking at Tiny as they seem good value, but any complaints?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

3. Addis

Addis The King

Thanks NF.

4. Addis

Addis The King

I realise that the X600 is just a PCI-E version of the Radeon 9600Xt, so the second one has better graphics with the 9700, a P4 wouldn't exactly be beneficial for battery life. And the first one is cheaper so will consider it.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Great find ninja, negotiations are going well and if retail stores can't beat it (which i highly doubt) it should be ordered early next week. Monday-tues. :D

Next day delivery is great.

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

:)

Addis on the go~

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

i like this one myself: http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/go/shopbotGo?catId=113501&merchantId=498501&pkey=1&orw=true, it's real cheap and the battery life is nice. 2 hours for those big boys? I know they're really beefy but do you actually expect to have a good gaming experience on a laptop? Cramped keys, touch pad, and then you only get through a few levels of FarCry and it kicks out on you. I'd say get a decent PentM or Sempron with 3.5+ hrs. battery life and load up Linux on it and the thing should just run forever. Just what I think at least.

8. Addis

Addis The King

Not looking to game, if it has Radeon graphics then its a plus. Main thing is that the first one has 3.5hrs life, and has everything I need. And next day delivery which i vtal as i neeed time to rip all my cds and prepare a "PC survivial kit" before i go.

Sorry that link doens't work.

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I see now, sorry, I didn't know Kelkoo was so weird. The only thing that the one I choose had over the first was the price I belive. I think it was still sub 600. Well you can always search Kelkoo if you like?

10. Addis

Addis The King

Got the laptop today, looks and performans well. And the best bit? On the specs it showed Radeon X600 graphics, but it actually has X700.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

sweet, always nice to get something you didnt expect, i am going to buy a laptop, but not until next year, i'm going to leave it as late as possible so that when i go to university i dont have an outdated laptop, by then i hope there will be 64bit cpu's in most of them and 512Mb/1Gb of ram as standard, (crosses fingers)

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, nice Addis:good:, I envy you man.