problems accessing certain websites.

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Willz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i have disabled windows firewall, i have tried for ages configuring my router, but for some reason when i try to go on somthing like msn or microsoft or msdn or loggin passport it wont load, microsoft will on aol but logg in passport wont.

what could be wrong?

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

what browser are you using, try a different browser

3. Willz

ok, well i used aol's browser, firefox browser, and internet explorer 6, and internet explorer 7, all on both computer linked to the same router.

4. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Same problem here accept i have this problem only when behind router i cant get into ebay yahoo or msn

5. Willz

yea i have the problem when only behind a router, thats why i am using the crappy aol modem now, but i am deperate to get bk onto the router.

same problem we have exept different sites we are having problems accesing.

6. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

What kind of router do you have and how do you connect to it? Does it run a DHCP server (automatically-assigned IP addresses)? Also is it only some websites or all of them?

7. Willz

its only some websites, as i said, msn/microsoft and msdn website, and iexbeta forum too, also it uses dns server, it automaticly assigns the ip address, when i get onto windows i am allready connected to the internet, when i turn the power on at the mains the router connects to the internet before the computers are on, its a mentor ful rate adsl router, i know no one has heard of mentor, the only stuff i have ever knew them do is crappy heatsink/fans for pentium 4 and router, and one good router it is as it works with aol, and aol said it would not work with aol, also i can get onto msn on aol but not internet explorer, i have the same problem on both computer, i can get onto any website at moment becouse my router aint turned on and i am using the crappy aol broadband modem wich i want to get rid of.

8. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

yeah im having problems signing in ebay and msn and yahoo its very slow loading and sometimes never loads ihave a U.S. robotics 5470 wireless 54g starter kit this problem only presists when using the router and its anoying cause i access these sites the most its only slow on those web sites all others work fine

9. Willz

ah, yes very simaler lol, but mine dont have a cat in hells chance of loading, its never loaded.

10. Willz

al try a firmware upgrade, kenshinx did you knwo if you go onto internet explorer and type the ip of your router in it brings up a router setings page?

11. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

yes but last time i tampered with the settings it stopped working completely but it turns out it was a problem with verizon and their severs but my website problem presists

12. Willz

hmm, i dont know what it could be, i am wondering if it could be..
    firmware upgrade needed?
    port forwarding?
    aol settings?
    AOL?
    or somthing else?

13. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Im still trying to see if my usb adapter is compatible with linux (mandrake10.1)

14. Willz

lol, so your not using windows?

15. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

im using both have them on seperate harddrives but
    i can boot to either using linux bootloader win2000 pro on hdb
    Mandrake linux 10.1 official hda

16. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Have you tried to ping the sites your having trouble with? It may be just that they're very slow. If you can ping them then they're are there, if not they're probably not allowing them (like MSN) or your not getting through your own network.

17. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'm gonna take a guess at your problem and assume that your "crappy AOL broadband modem" is actually a rudimentary router. That means you're double NAT'ing, which really jacks up Windows' routing tables (it's still primitive for networking, like it or not). Try and remove one of the routers between your system and the 'net and see if it helps.

-AT

18. Willz

lol, i took out the router and put the aol broadband mdoem back on (usb modem), and now i put the router back on and i cant access microsoft or msn sites, but i can get onto microsoft and msn on the aol software, i tried getting onto those sites before i installed the aol software but i had no luck, how do i ping sites??

should i be forwarding some ports to make all websites work properly, i am forwarind 6881 port at moment in port forward settings and also i am forwardind 6667 and 6881~6889, do i need to set up a virtual servers.

also i have noticed i can logg in to msn messenger, but at first when i first set it up after restoring my computer, you know were you had to sett email and all that up like do you ahve an email address?, and at first it said downloading information from msn or somthing like that, well it could not download the information, i also notived that on the msn today screen, it had a connection error on my hotmail part with the email.

19. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

well that confirms it were in the same boat i cant get into msn messanger and if i do i cant check my mail it just keeps showing an evelope and says loading and this is on my computer that is connected directly to the router my other wireless comp is cnnected via usb adapterthat also wont let me log in could this have something to do with the firewall router or the router itself?

20. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

man doesnt look like will be solving this problem anytime soon ive posted this on three other forums and no replies