Quadro 6000 Not Recognized In New Build

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by CalebPetersen, Nov 1, 2014.

1. CalebPetersen

CalebPetersen Geek Trainee

Hi all, I just put together a new computer with components listed below. I'm having trouble with a Quadro 6000 I bought off of eBay. It is apparently getting power as green LEDs near the 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors turn green when the computer is powered on (if either of these is unplugged, by the way, the adjacent LED will turn red). However, it's not recognized at all: if I power up the machine just with the Quadro, I'll never see anything on the monitor, and if I use an older 512MB PCI-express video card and go into BIOS, BIOS doesn't think that anything is plugged into the PCI slot occupied by the Quadro. I believe it's seated properly in the PCI slot, and I've tried both of my PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots. I haven't done any overclocking.

I've tried the card in an old computer (doesn't have UEFI BIOS), booted into WinXP, and it's not recognized at all, not even as an "unknown device". In my current build (and using the old 512MB card for video output) I've also tried changing the Video OpROM from Legacy Only to UEFI Only, but it automatically gets changed back when I restart. Have tried clearing CMOS.

You think this thing was DOA? Is it possible that its previous setup (maybe a workstation in SLI?) left some latent settings that are preventing it from working for me??

Specs:
    -Xeon E5-1620 v3
    -1x16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
    -NVidia (HP-branded according to seller, although I didn't see any HP logo) Quadro 6000 (not K6000)
    -Some old random PCI-express video card
    -ASRock X99 Extreme3 motherboard
    -500W SP-500 Antec PSU (a bit on the old side and not PCIe 2.0 certified, so have to use molex to 6-pin adapters, which might not be ideal for high performance GPU apps. but I'd think the card would at least get recognized)
    -1 SSD

I can boot of a USB stick, so all other components should be fine. Google searches have yielded nothing. I've looked for manuals of any sort for the Quadro 6000, and found only a generic Quadro manual with almost no info about installation, etc..

Thanks,
    Caleb

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Can you test it in another system?
    Have you used another PCI express card, or just a PCI? They're two different interfaces entirely, so I just want to make sure.
    Can you use a higher-wattage PSU to test it?
    That PSU is likely not bad, but some updates to the ATX spec might have something that better serves you. I don't think you need something like a 1000W unit, but somewhere in the 650-700W range would be enough from your pick of a reputable unit.

Also, make sure all connectors to the motherboard and Quadro are connected.

That's the stuff I'd try.