Quake 4 - PC

Discussion in 'content-Hidden' started by WWR, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Platform: PC
    Company: id Software and Raven Software
    Current status: Full game out in America and Europe
    Where to obtain: Your local game shop

The latest addition to one of id Software's best-selling FPS games, but is it a legend in the making or something to be forgotten?

Graphics:
    Graphically, the game seems to be similar to Doom 3, not surprising though seeing as it's the same engine. But Quake 4 seems to be a little more demanding than Doom 3 if you want to run it at higher-end graphics options, I can run D3 on Medium but Q4 has to be on low. As for how the game looks it's quite breathtaking the amount of detail that has been put into the game, from blood smears to the NPCs running around. The detail of the weaponry is particularly well-done, although the flashlight effect isn't the best I've seen, in fact it's pretty poor compared to some games I've played. The levels look very good too, damaged installations, almost like the environments of Quake 2 with new graphics but even better than that.

Sound:
    The sound isn't really much to jump up and down about, the music is hardly noticable if there even is any, the gunfire is appalling, it just doesn't sound at all real or even attempted to sound so. The environment makes some good noises as well, very atmospheric as it makes you feel like you're in a war zone rather than just shooting things in quiet corridors. The voice acting is stupendous though, they have really put a lot of effort into creating the right voices for each of the marines in the game, and each of them has their own different attitude toward what is going on. When you talk to them some say they're too busy and others actually have a little conversation with you, very well done.

Gameplay:
    The gameplay isn't all that I was expecting, for some reason I felt as if something was missing from the game, I have no idea what it is, perhaps it's because the game is too similar to games that are already out, there doesn't seem to be anything that makes the game unique. It is a good game, don't get me wrong but there isn't anything overwhelmingly good about it. It is fun to play and will have you hooked in getting into the game but it's too much like its predecessors and the other games out there today, personally I think it's come out a little too late.

Storyline:
    Well the storyline is a good part of this game, it is a continuation of the events of Quake 2, the storyline itself is well thought-out and is a pride to the series. One of my favourite parts of the storyline is how the marine from Q2 is mentioned. Well-worth playing just for the twist later on in the game.

In conclusion, it's well worth getting and a very good game but like I said there is nothing that makes the game stand out from all the rest of the same genre.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/WerewolfReaper/Q41.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/WerewolfReaper/Q42.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/WerewolfReaper/Q43.jpg

I hope you found this review helpful and informative. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.