question about makeing a good back-up copy of a pc game

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by efx2003, May 13, 2007.

1. efx2003

efx2003 Big Geek

Does anybody know the proper software I need so I can make a good back-up copy of a pc game that will work. Please help if you can.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Alcohol 120%...but basically what you need is something that will copy the disc exactly as is and not try to fix any "errors" it might come across.

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

And what does that? Nero, for example, just said it's copyrighted and accomplished nothing when I tried it.

4. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

With the latest protection systems on games these days only bespoke programs like Alcohol 120% and to a lesser extent Blindwrite/Blindread or CloneCD/DVD with Clonyxxl can even come close to making 100% copies of games.

Give up on nero for this kind of stuff, it cant even 'backup' an old copy of worms 2 i have ....

If you manage to make an image using the latest build of Alcohol and mount it through alcohol you may be fine, however you may need to enable the advanced settings for securom emulation etc - deamon tools is also very good for mounting and working around some protections. If you are having issues backing up a certain title then google it - most likely you'll find someone who has posted a way.

Best piece of advice for this sort of problem unless you are 'backing up' lots of games simply download an image of the game instead. I'm not going to give you links to do this however in case the information was... miss-used ^_^

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

apparently the next version of CDBurnerXP Pro will do a CD to CD copy

BTW: not sure if it will make an exact backup, or when it due out[ot]it's also freeware[/ot]