Re-fill or Re-cycle

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by eranga262154, Mar 5, 2007.

1. eranga262154

eranga262154 Geek Trainee

Hi all,

My HP3900 printer cartridge is empting last night. I want to re-use it. What should I do, re-fill or re-cycle. Few of my friends told that re-fill deduct the life time of the cartridge. What is your comments on this.

Thanks,

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Refilling a Ink cartridge will extend its life as you get to use it twice instead of once.

Allways try to reuse something if you can, recycling takes energy!

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah Impotence has a good point, from a quality standpoint, or at least from my experience, re-filled cartridges have worse quality

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

but your only paying a fraction of the price, all of the refilled cartridges that i have used (bought from supermarkets) have been fine...

even if the quality wasn't perfect, just use them for drafts!

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

But make sure it doesn't void the warranty of the printer. We're supposed to only buy official Epson ones (which are a lot better than the cheapos) - but we don't.

6. eranga262154

That's what I'm really worried about...

7. eranga262154

If the quality is not perfect I think it is useless. Right?

8. eranga262154

Exactly, If the refill or recycle make any effect on the printer, I think it is best to have an original cartridge on the printer.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't know what's available, but I've noticed a few businesses that refill ink cartridges. If they're available to you, it might be worth checking out.

10. eranga262154

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well like Impotence said, if your only doing drafts no prob, otherwise, its not really going to work out right

12. eranga262154

Thats the case pal. I used it for specially documentations. So the quality is more important.

13. RobertB

RobertB Geek Trainee

Yea, rather be safe than sorry. I don't use them, but would only consider using black ink refills on daily use documents. I've heard scarey things about cheap inks fading pretty quickly.

Also, just an FYI. Staples gives you $3 off future ink purchases for every empty you bring it. It's not a lot, but I wasn't getting anything before when I was recycling them.

14. eranga262154

For daily use documents I used low cost re-fill black ink. But it gives lots of issues on professional printouts like printing a project report.

15. Madusik

Madusik Geek Trainee

All the HP cartridges I buy for my printer come with an envelope you can use to send the old one back (postage free) to HP. That way you get to keep using the brand ink and don't have quality issues as well as recycle! Best of both worlds.

16. RobertB

RobertB Geek Trainee

Yea, I used to send them back to HP until Staples started giving me $3 for each one (see above).

17. Madusik

Madusik Geek Trainee

Oops, sorry missed that part of your post. Think I'll start taking mine to Staples now, too!

18. eranga262154

Where is it? I have to check it, there is no such an envelop given by seller.

19. Madusik

Madusik Geek Trainee

The envelope has always been folded up in the box with the cartridge. Believe it's even lightly glued to the white protective plastic that's around the cartridge when you open the box.

20. eranga262154

I have with that box, but the envelop is missing. I'll contact the seller right now.