Request For Help To Ips Monitor Owners - Please Make Videos To Better Evaluate Backlight Uniforimty

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by midix, Mar 22, 2016.

1. midix

midix Geek Trainee

Hi everyone.

I would like to ask the community for help. If you have an 24 - 27 inch IPS monitor (especially, if you have bought it in recent months or last year), then please do the following:

- you will need a camera; even a cell phone with 5 MPx camera might work just fine

- open a solid color image; yellow should work fine; you can also open this image:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../Solid_yellow.svg/1024px-Solid_yellow.svg.png

just zoom it in using Ctrl+mousewheel, so it fills entire screen area and hit F11 on your browser to go fullscreen

- now turn on your camera and position it at a distance when entire screen fits in the frame and then move the camera up and down, and also try to slightly rotate vertically to record the screen from different angles

- put your camera closer, about 25cm (10 inches) to your screen and repeat the procedure. Also try to put your eyes at the same distance and if you notice any brightness shifts which are not visible on your camera, try to change your camera position, orientation or distance to make the brightness shifts to look more similar to how you see them with your eyes

- upload your video somewhere (Youtube, Vimeo, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox - you choose) and post the link in the comments of this topic.

This test will be more objective if you have more than one IPS monitor and can compare them side by side.

The purpose of these operations is to capture any brightness shifts which manifest themselves on solid color background. Unfortunately, most reviews and videos are using colorful images which mask the brightness shifts and thus do not correspond to the percepted visual image I see when working with documents, web pages etc., which usually have solid color background.

This process will take just 10-20 minutes of your life but it will save me (visually impaired programmer since birth) some frustrations and numerous monitor returns. Besides, I think the results of this test will be appreciated also by other professionals (programmers, designers etc.) who would like to find the best of IPS monitors. Or this might just be somewhat educational to show people that there are more important differences among IPS panels than just the ones loudly advertised by manufacturers (contrast, reaction time, refresh rate, color bit depth). What's the use of all the advertised goodness if your brand new expensive monitor loses in some aspects when compared to some older and cheaper IPS monitor? When I pay premium, I expect to receive an upgrade in every aspect, and not some upgrades+some downgrades. It's a shame to see how manufacturers don't learn from each other and launch models with defects which have been fixed by some other manufacturer (or even the same manufacturer) long ago.

As my experience shows, the price is not always an indicator. Even some brand new mid-level IPS monitors (such as Asus ProArt series) might turn out to be worse in terms of backlight and brightness / contrast uniformity than some budget or older models, despite that more expensive models have more color bit depth and better calibration.

Here is my older video which clearly demonstrates how brightness shifts on a new Asus ProArt can be worse than on some old Viewsonic:

I have created a thread on another forum, but it contained too much distracting details and I did not think of the solution immediately. If you want to know the long story behind my request, then you are welcome to read the following thread:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ing-a-monitor-for-a-visually-impaired-person/

Thanks in advance to everyone for help.