Router only routing to one pc, other pc doesn't recognise network

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Dani723, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Dani723

Dani723 Geek Trainee

Thanks for your time.

I've got two PCs connected via a linksys WRT54GS router using cables, rather than wireless in DHCP mode. But a couple of days ago, after changing nothing, my upstairs PC no longer recognises any network, or lists any in the 'network connections' window. The downstairs PC is working normally. I'm using Windows XP.

I have upgraded the router firmware.

The downstairs PC uses windows firewall, the upstairs uses Comodo internet security. Both have allowed the connections with their current settings in the past.

The Modem is a Motorola SB5100, which is probably irrelevant, as it is working normally sending a connection to the router, then out to the downstairs PC.

I also tried releasing and renewing in the 192.168.1.1 console.

The network adaptors on both PCs are working and of the latest version, according to the device manager.

There is nothing listed in the network connections page for the upstairs PC.

Any other suggestions? Thanks then.

2. Dani723

Dani723 Geek Trainee

3. Dani723

Dani723 Geek Trainee

A suggestion from someone on another forum has resolved this.

4. macbeton

macbeton Guest

Simply bring down the PC and try with the other cable! :doh:

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, you tried setting a static ip on the nic that doesn't detect the network connection? you tried a different port on the switch?