Sata Hard Disk Locked

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by elegant5dude, Dec 12, 2006.

1. elegant5dude

elegant5dude Geek Trainee

Hi Friends :hi2:

I joined this Forum coz am having problem with my SATA HARD DISK which is PASSWORD LOCKED.Am using DELL GX 520 & by mistake my friend entered in BIOS SETUP & put the password in HDD SECURITY.Every time i reboot my machine it's asking me to enter the HDD PASSWORD.I tried all the things but still the password is not removing.

I'll appreciate if anyone help me to solve the above said problem.

"Eagerly waiting for positive reply"

THANX IN ADVANCE

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I'll just state the obvious. Get your friend to either remove or give you the password. Password protected Hard Disks are not accessible unless you have the password. If all else fails, Dell MAY give you a replacement.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Try BIOS reset.....

4. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

or if Dell wont give you a replacement, i think your mate should cough up the cash for a replacement....:dry:

sorry i cant help.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Theres a program I used once called atapwd. I cant find what I remember to be the homepage but theres this page with steps and a link to the program. Just format a floppy and check the "create an msdos startup disk" (or something similar, its only on XP which I dont use so I might be wrong) then put atapwd.exe on it. Boot from the floppy and type atapwd. The program should start.

6. elegant5dude

elegant5dude Geek Trainee

Friends am happy with the way you are replying.
    But sorry to say that i didn't get any solution to my problem.
    Hope i'll get soon as i can see lots of IT Professionals are here
    in this Forum.

ZEUS i appreciate your help with the above post,ie you asked me to try "atapwd.exe",i tried but with that software i can't see my SATA drive,it's just flashing at PM(Primary Master) but nothing is there at that place i mean PM is empty.Hope to hear more from you.

7. zeus

zeus out of date

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

Have you tried resetting your BIOS, as was mentioned previously? If you open your computer case, there is a small watch battery (about the size of a US quarter) that you can remove with your computer unplugged. Wait about 30 seconds and put it back in. Plug your computer back in and power it on. You will probably want to go into the BIOS on the first boot because all settings will have been removed. You'll want to set the time and anything else you would like changed. After this, your problem will have been resolved.

Please let me know if this solves your problem or if you will need further assistance.