[SHAME] What version of windows to use? [/SHAME]

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Impotence, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

First of all i would like to say, i love my X/Ubuntu and SLAX (Backtrack), but i dont think running half life through wine (on top of nix) will really work on a 650 Mhz machine...

The Machine in question is a 650Mhz (512MB RAM) Dell Latitude C600, the question is which version of windows will be best suited to playing half life (and mods) for network games at college (I'm gona have to get my Laptop and Switch PAT tested to do it though :/ ).

Security issue's arnt a worry, it's only going to be a small network (no internet access, they wont outside machines onto the college network) and the people i will be playing at are mostly idiots.

[ot]

I'm scared, I'm very scared.... HNC Computing is very very very simple / boring atm (apparently the NQ students are still learning to turn there computers on), i dont have high hopes for it getting any better unfortunartly

oh yeah, im scared beacuse i was told HNC computing was all you needed to be a computer technician in my local council, im still waiting for the computing to start at college :O (3rd week now)

[/ot]

2. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Win2k pro.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, ive got to go with windows 2000 too.

After a quick goodle its seems the difference in requirements between 2000 and Me is that Me requires 32mbs RAM and 150mhz CPU whereas 2000 pro likes 64mb RAM but only a 133mhz CPU.
    I didnt realise the requirements were so similar.

2000 is definatly the one to go for!

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

lol, windows ME

somebody actually made a patch which alterd the boot up screen to read "windows ME, crash edition"

anyway, win2k pro/corp.... i'll get onto www.thepira *ahem* ebay.co.uk for that :p

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I still have nightmares about WinME. Win2k may not be a speed demon, but it's a good, mature OS.

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I disagree with the argument that Windows 2000 is better then XP. However for your purposes I think Windows 2000 would be better in this instance.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, which Win, well i'm proud to say that i now class myself as a linux user (kubuntu) but i couldn't be a linux only user, without you guys
    :beer: - and a BIG HUG to all who have helped me, you know who you are, big THANKSbecause i am no agerage PC user, bassically i've only been able to kill kunbuntu once, in 6 months i would have killed about 4 or 5 installes of XP, not that i do anything wrong, but i use a PC like a true masakist, if they say it's a multitasking OS, that's exactly what i do (burning a CD / DVD while browsing, playing an audio CD, and loads of stuff like that, so i like kubuntu cos its survived me

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Why so? Is it because it's less of a resource hog just to run the Win2k than XP? Just curious cuz i really don't have any experience with, or knowledge of, win2k.

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

yes