sharing a cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by rixx, Jan 28, 2003.

1. rixx

rixx Geek Trainee

hi all - can anyone help me with this one pls?

i want to share my cable modem with another computer in the house. There are 2 connections on the modem (USB and ethernet) i take the USB out from the modem and i figure it should be cool for the other computer to take the ethernet out which will go through an adapter and then into his usb port. Problem is in his device manager (he has win98) his usb controller has an exclamation mark and we get device not present, not working propely (code10) message so we cant connect. we dont want a network and he doesnt appear to have an option on his motherboard to install another usb - any ideas??

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You'll need a gateway/router and a hub or switch for it to work. You can get a crossover cable to connect PC to PC, but you'll need to have ethernet jacks on both systems---which is pretty much required for the first option---unless you go wireless---and that's not the cheapest way to do so.

The cable modem is just a modem, not anything else, so it can't make a network happen like you're attempting.

3. rixx

rixx Geek Trainee

doh!!
    thanks. i realise that about the modem but i suppose i wasn't really thinking that if it cud do that it would basically be a network device.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Technically, yes, it is a networking device, but it plays a role in connecting networks to networks (your network to the internet in this case), not individual PC's together.

5. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

just make a network connection to both pc's and download PPPshare lite/pro @ http://www.pppindia.com/intl/pppshar/
    It really easy to use and doesnt effect your speed at all

If u only wanna surf the net on the other pc then get lite, get pro if u wanna use msn kazaa or something like that

The only downside is that the pc with the modem in it has to be on when u wanna use the other one.

And they r both under 150kb :D

Check a review of it here http://www.compunotes.com/NetworkReviews/pppshare.htm

and hmm if u dont have a creditcard dont worry cuze it wont expire lol, if I had a creditcard I wud pay for this cuze its the best and easiest proxy server ever :cool: