Sharing a HP PSC 2355 on 98 machines

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by betsy, May 2, 2007.

1. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Hello all, we have a network in the office which uses a HP PSC 2355 all in one printer. It is currently intalled on a XP machine but other users in the group want to share it. The other machines all run on 98.

I have searched for the 98 driver to support this but all I keep finding and installing is the original XP driver. Can anyone advise where I can get just the 98 driver from?

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

XP might contain the drivers for 98 already. Do you have the CD that came supplied with the printer?

You should install the Windows 98 printer driver on Windows XP. When the 98 machines connect to the printer via XP, they will automatically download and install the appropriate driver. This saves you alot of effort as you only have to install the driver once, rather then going around every 98 machine in the office.

Go to the Printers control panel folder in Windows XP and right click the printer you want to share. Click the 'Sharing' tab and then click the 'Additional Drivers' button. Tick the Windows 98 check box and present the driver CD or other medium if prompted to do so.

PS, you might find the 98 driver on HP's website

3. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Hi there, this is what a was hoping to do. When I try to install the additional drivers in the sharing options it has XP ticked. When I select 98 it prompts me to insert the installation disk..which I have done but then it says the file needed isn't found in that location. Any other advice you can give me?

4. megamaced

Try here: HP Basic Feature software/driver: No Network Support*HP PSC 2355 All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Copier

Unfortunately, HP distribute their drivers in an executable format, rather then just providing a zip file with the necessary drivers. That being said, I am pretty sure when you run the executable, it will ask where you want to extract the 'temporary files'. Choose a memerable location. It will extract the files and launch it's setup. Don't continue though, just quit the setup and you should still have all the necessary drivers stored in the temporary location. Point the Windows XP additional drivers box to the temporary driver directory.

Alternatively, you could install that driver executable on all the Windows 98 machines manually :)

5. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

That is the download I have been using. Unfortunately when I try to do what you suggested an error message appears saying the required file is not found at that location.
    I think the only option is to install on every 98 machine unless you can think of anything else?

6. megamaced

You will have to install the driver on every Windows 98 machine then :(